Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right experts I've read the posts, looked at the charts & I think my car was built in February of 68. I'm not sure so please decipher. Here are the cowl #'s:

02C N115
St 68-12437 LOS 29342
TR 749 0-6 Paint

Dash # is 124378L330398

Car is a SS/ RS It had the had the396 in it when I bought it in 74, but I sold the motor in 77 ( I know big mistake) What would the numbers be on the original engine & does anyone ever get their motor back? I heard the guy i sold it to wrapped his chevelle around a pole a few months after he installed the engine.
This is in las Vegas
Thanks for your expetise

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Milt you got it right. Your Coupe was the 115th body assembled during the N period of the 3rd week in February, 1968. Your interior is Black and White Houndstooth and your exterior is Corvette Bronze with a White Vinyl top.

The numbers on the original engine could be several depending on which engine, HP rating and with a manual or automatic transmission. You said it had a 396 in it when you bought it in 1974, but was that the original engine?

Finding the original engine is rare these days, but it does happen periodically.

Start with the local police department and ask to see if they still have the files for the accident. You're going to have to do some real detective work, but you never know, you just might find your engine if you're lucky!

Good luck
Ed

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed.
I have the TH 400 Transmission. And I'm sure the engine was the original when I bought it. It was a two bolt main 396, so I'm guessing it was the 325 HP.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Could be either the 325 or the 350 HP version.

Numbers for the 396/325 with the Turbo 400 would be "MY" and for the 396/350 with the Turbo 400 would be "MR".

Ed

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is their a date correlation between colors? It would make since that there would be.
Here is the tag for my my corvette bronze RS/SS 396 4 speed with air. It unrestored and missing parts, but I have talked with the 2, 3, and 5th owners.

O2E - February fifth week
68 - indicates Year Built - 1968
12437 - indicates Body Style Code - 8 cylinder Camaro 2 door coupe
Assemble plant - Norwood, Ohio
Sequence Number - 91648
Interior Trim Code -712 Standard Black Interior
Paint Code: O2 Corvette Bronze with a Black Vinyl Top

thanks
chrism

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Can you post a picture of your car. I posted a picture of an old SS I used to own and under the white vinyl top it had a weird color and I've asked some people what it was. The best we could figure was the Corvette Bronze and I thought a car would look great with that color combo.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car has been painted twice since I bought it in 74. I didn't care for the Corvette bronze. I'm in the process of getting it ready to be painted lemans blue. i'll see if I can find an old picture and try and post it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My car has been painted twice since I bought it in 74. I didn't care for the Corvette bronze. I'm in the process of getting it ready to be painted lemans blue. i'll see if I can find an old picture and try and post it.
I think Corvette bronze is the best looking color on a first gen. JMO. Mike. :beers: :beers:

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I think Corvette bronze is the best looking color on a first gen. JMO. Mike. :beers: :beers:
Like I said in the post on my car color, back then we didn't care or know about TT's and the codes etc. I had no idea about that color until part of my white vinyl top came off and this color was under it (the car was painted a horrible dark blue). I then saw another Camaro one day in this same color and hadn't seen one since. I thought the white top and this color was very unique and I did like it, I always wanted to bring this car back to it's original color combo, but it was a rust bucket and back then you had to cut up another car to replace quarters etc. and it didn't seem worth it back then. The car was only 8 yrs. old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts