Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search on this subject and still have some questions. I have a 68 conv. which I am going to put duals on. I will keep the factory exhaust manifolds (327 2bbl 210hp). I don't want to wake up the dead with noise, just want a mellow tone. I am leaning to flowmasters, but am confused about the different types, 2-chamber, 3-chamber, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation. I talked to 2 local shops. Both will put flowmasters or turbos (less $ for the turbos) and custom bend. They both have experience with classics. Is there anything I should be cautious about?
I'm just an old (58) man trying to have the fun I missed as a teen and young man!!

H-dog

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you want "less" noise, go with 3 chambers and not the 2 chambers. They are not to bad, if you run smaller pipes (2.5") and tail pipes, they are even better.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the 2 1/2 flowmaster kit with 2 chamber mufflers and it has that real nice rumble to it. It's not supper loud, but it's not quiet. I have a B/B motor(502 crate) and when my hood it shut and people see the car (Lemans blue)with the Z-28 emblems but no stripes they say why didn't you put the stripes back on. It's not a Z car. People don't think there's a ZZ 502/502 under the hood. They think I have a built 302 under the hood. Just haven fun. I asked around alot before I bought my system. The 3 chamber flow will have less noise. My father is 60 and he always wants to take the car for a ride. He says it brings back alot of memories of the hot rod days. If you install the 2 chamber and don't like the rumble you can change them with the 3 chambers and sell the 2 chambers. You can put a post up in the for sale section. I just sold a 68 roof to Washington state. The roof is going cross country, I live in Conn.
Good luck with your decision. Bob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just talked to a muffler shop man, and he's recommending "Turbos". He did say flomasters are a heavier muffler, but they are louder. Also, being a convertible, he thinks 2" pipe is all he can get in. I'll take the car in this Friday and make a decision by then. Does anyone have any opinions on the Turbo muffler?

Thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
H-DOG
I HAVE A68 327 AND I HAD THE TURBO BEFORE
IF YOU DONT WANT THE NOISE GO FOR IT
IT MAKES A NAISE SOUDN NOT TO LOUD

I HAVE THE 2 CHAMBERS NOW WITH THE 3" PIPE
AND ITS NOT LOUD FOR ME.
HOP THIS WOUL HELP

------------------

·
Registered
89 Posts
Consider the flowmaster "delta flow" 40 series. they are quietr than regular flowmasters. Awesome sound. (mellow but sound great)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi H-Dog
When they are doing the dual exhaust, make sure they leave in the floor brace that goes across under the exhaust and driveshaft in the convertible. In the 67 I brought, they had got lazy and left the plate off so that it was easier to run the large twin pipes. Last weekend I have fixed this up and put a new plate in and I have to say that it is now a completely different car. What an improvement ! Before the plate was put back in, the car had this flexible/jelly sort of feeling when on rough roads or cornering. It is as solid as a rock with the plate back in. So make sure they do the job properly.
STM67

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey I have the turbo, they have a real nice sound to them & I'm also enjoying the thing's that I missed in my younger day's. (47) My 396 is quite enought so that the neighbors don't even know when I leave & when I'm crusing it is real quite till I deside to get on it then you can hear the big block coming to life! For me the Turbo's are perfect!

------------------
johnny

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 67 convertible with 2 1/4 pipes to the 2 chamber flowmasters and 2 1/2 pipe mufflers back. It is not too loud and has a nice rumble. I did have to put 1/4 inch spacers in my cross brace to get the pipes to clear.

------------------
67 Camaro Convertible
97 Vette
Chevrolet powered boat 28ft Profile cat 502EFI Procharged with 13lbs boost radar 112 MPH
95 Z28 Convertible

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey H-Dog,

I have the turbo mufflers on my 69 convertible Firebird. It has a 400 and the sound is nice and mellow, not too loud. I have the Flowmasters on my Nova and while I like the sound of them better, they are definitely a lot louder.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Get the Turbos, you can always change if you don't like the sound. I know that some will say you can also change the Flowmasters, however if you do a search on Flowmasters you will find alot of people get tired of them and are replacing them. I have heard both and each one has a unique tone and Db level, but according to your post you are looking for a "mellow tone" and between the Flowmaster and Turbo the Turbo has that "mellow tone" you are looking for. So get mellow and enjoy that 68 drop top.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I went with Dynomax Ultra Flow Race Series. They are throatier than 3-chamber flowmasters and quieter than the 2-chamber. They fit under a 1st Generation Camaro better than the 3-chamber Flowmasters which are a little on the long side. They sound awesome using my stock manifolds.

Good Luck!

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Hood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Dog,if you want to relive your younger years,wake up the neighbors,use headers with cherry bombs,I did(47),350,350hp,69SS. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H-dog:
I have done a search on this subject and still have some questions. I have a 68 conv. which I am going to put duals on. I will keep the factory exhaust manifolds (327 2bbl 210hp). I don't want to wake up the dead with noise, just want a mellow tone. I am leaning to flowmasters, but am confused about the different types, 2-chamber, 3-chamber, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation. I talked to 2 local shops. Both will put flowmasters or turbos (less $ for the turbos) and custom bend. They both have experience with classics. Is there anything I should be cautious about?
I'm just an old (58) man trying to have the fun I missed as a teen and young man!!

H-dog
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts