Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are they factory? If they are they should be 4 piston.67 and 68 got the 4 piston set up and 69s got single piston calipers.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are currently on the car. I have no idea if they are stock or not. Considering everything else I have come across, I'd be willing to bet it is a real good posibility. How can I tell? If I'm getting dirty this weekend I'd rather just do it once and stay that way.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Single piston calipers are big and kinda round!! W/ 4 sliders, 2 on each side that stick out.. They are what the guide bolts slide in....

4-piston calipers are long and rectangular.. They bolt solid...

pdq67

·
Registered
83 Posts
MaryBeth the single piston caliper will have only one big piston on each side of the roter that the pads go against. Take a pic if you can't tell.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
MaryBeth the single piston caliper will have only one big piston on each side of the roter that the pads go against. Take a pic if you can't tell.
The single piston calipers have only ONE piston, it's on the inside of the rotor. The caliper kinda looks like a c-clamp.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, the more I look at these catalogs the more confused I get. I have lines on the car but since I don't know their origin, I am thinking to replace all of them. How do I pick them out, including fuel and trans lines as well as brakes?

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Single piston calipers are used on 69's and later(except the JL8's). 67's and 68's used dual piston calipers.

Brake lines are on the drivers side and are 3/16" in diameter, fuel line (only one on all 67's and 68's) are on the passenger side and are 3/8" in diameter.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm planning on climbing under there after my soccer game tomorrow night. I'll look at calipers, and see if any lines are there. I have also seen flexible brake lines for the rear. Are these in place of steal lines or in addition to them? (rear brakes are drum)

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Flexible lines are used between the end of the steel brake line on the body of the car and the rear axle. Then there is a steel line that runs across the top of the axle to each wheel. Flexible lines are also used on the fronts, between the calipers and the end of the steel lines at the frame. The flexible lines allow movement between the body and the suspension parts.

·
10,157 Posts
Here is a pic of a single piston caliper, the piston is on the back side, the outboard brake pad is visible in the center opening of the caliper. this is a sliding caliper, it slides on the two bolts, one on each end. The piston must be compressed before you remove the caliper in order to insert the new thicker pads.

A four piston caliper has two bumps where the two outboard pistons are, and you can't see the brake pad.

If you have the top type, ask for brake pads and parts for a 1969 Camaro.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Okay....Hubby says if I want to be able to move the car without pushing, I have to have brakes. Thanks for the info on those. Two more questions. I see listings for 1 pc and 2 pc lines. What is the difference, other than the 1 pc has to be bent for shipping if it is ordered and not purchased locally? and Can I use lines for 68 multileaf on a 67?

·
Super Moderator
32,749 Posts
One more question. I see listings for 1 pc and 2 pc lines. What is the difference, other than the 1 pc has to be bent for shipping if it is ordered and not purchased locally.
I believe they are referring to the single brake line going to the rear of the body, the interconnecting line from the proportioning valve to the rubber hose at the rear axle.

Sixty-sevens and some 68's came with 1-pc line, 7-8 foot long. Some 68's and 69's have a residual valve bolted on the subframe under the driver seat, this is a 2-pc line, one line from porportioning valve to the residual valve and a second line from the residual valve to the rubber hose.

I would look into replacing the three rubber hoses with a stainless hose kit, if budget allows.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, let me ask this. I now have multi leaf springs on the rear. I just got off the phone with NPD (local) and we are trying to figure out what would change that would require me to use 68 multi leaf rear lines instead of 67 monoleaf lines. The axle and frame have not changed, only the height of the rear of the car. (gotta lower it a little)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts