Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time going over the gas gauge problems with the search function, just need to know I'm going in the right direction. Car is a '69 vert, factory in dash gauges, fuel gauge doesn't work, stays pegged at the 9:00 empty position. Pulled the tan wire in the trunk, turn the ignition on, stay's at 9:00. Checked the ground wire on pass. side tank strap, cleaned and reinstalled, nothing has changed, still 9:00. Took an ohm meter, tan wire to ground, 0 ohms..I have straight continuity to ground on this tan wire. My guess is sending unit or wire to unit. I guess next thing is to ground the tan wire to the gauge to see if it goes to full? I'm not new to twisting a wrench, but this electrical stuff gives me a headache. :cool:

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Well try this troubleshooter I put together a while back. It will cover all three possible failure points - The gauge, test the wiring from it to the trunk and the sender.

Sounds like you have a somewhat responsive gauge, and zero ohms would say the sender is dead by the testing you have done so far. You can insert a bamboo or wooden dowel into the tank and manually raise the sender float which should move the gauge to full or increase the ohms you are getting.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1579191&postcount=2

Hope this helps you out

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Well try this troubleshooter I put together a while back. It will cover all three possible failure points - The gauge, test the wiring from it to the trunk and the sender.

Sounds like you have a somewhat responsive gauge, and zero ohms would say the sender is dead by the testing you have done so far. You can insert a bamboo or wooden dowel into the tank and manually raise the sender float which should move the gauge to full or increase the ohms you are getting.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1579191&postcount=2

Hope this helps you out

Brian
Good job Brian,, That covers all the bases.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Thanks Mike. I was stuck on the dead gauge highway with my ride, and then kept seeing others here stalled out in the same ditch. So once I figured out what my problem was - still is as I haven't had the place to drop my tank yet and fix my sender ground - I put this troubleshooter flow chart together.

I wrote it so that even a person who is intimidated by the electronics but has no fear setting a torch to the metal or digging into an engine or transmission can quickly isolate the problem and get it resolved without weapons fire in the garage.

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts