Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read alot of posts from people explaining how to wire the two horn buttons on a standard 69 wheel but still don't get it. Do the wires get soldered to the end of the metal shaft thats inside the spring that slides into the canceling cam? I looked at the one on my Nova (that has a single wire, but the principal is the same), the wire itself goes inside the spring and is soldered to a flat piece that looks like the same type of flat that is on the end of the shaft for the Camaro. If anyone has any pics of their's before they closed up the horn shroud it would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I've read alot of posts from people explaining how to wire the two horn buttons on a standard 69 wheel but still don't get it. Do the wires get soldered to the end of the metal shaft thats inside the spring that slides into the canceling cam? I looked at the one on my Nova (that has a single wire, but the principal is the same), the wire itself goes inside the spring and is soldered to a flat piece that looks like the same type of flat that is on the end of the shaft for the Camaro. If anyone has any pics of their's before they closed up the horn shroud it would really be appreciated.
Do the wires get soldered to the end of the metal shaft thats inside the spring that slides into the canceling cam?

No.

Check out this from the Electrical Sticky's. There are pics that you can view.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=891300#post891300

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,
I had looked at those pictures and I see the brass piece that the wires are joined together at. I don't have that piece and I didn't see it in any catalog. The only thing all those pictures don't show is how it all goes together.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Thanks Dave,
I had looked at those pictures and I see the brass piece that the wires are joined together at. I don't have that piece and I didn't see it in any catalog. The only thing all those pictures don't show is how it all goes together.
I don't think the brass piece is currently available reproduction. As for the pics, did you understand the captions along with the pics? I don't understand what you mean by "The only thing all those pictures don't show is how it all goes together."

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did understand the captions with the pictures and everything is crystal clear what he shows in the pictures, what I'm still confused about is how the spring, the steel shaft that goes inside the spring, the little black sleeve with the small tang on it and the brass end with the wires on it all go together. It seems I need to somehow obtain that little brass piece that the two wires go to, but once I get it, what is the order that all of this goes together. Is the small black sleeve with the tang on it used to hold the brass piece with the wires on it into the green flute on the canceling cam?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Yes I did understand the captions with the pictures and everything is crystal clear what he shows in the pictures, what I'm still confused about is how the spring, the steel shaft that goes inside the spring, the little black sleeve with the small tang on it and the brass end with the wires on it all go together. It seems I need to somehow obtain that little brass piece that the two wires go to, but once I get it, what is the order that all of this goes together. Is the small black sleeve with the tang on it used to hold the brass piece with the wires on it into the green flute on the canceling cam?
1. If you can't find the brass contact you can use a spent .22 caliber cartridge as a contact for the wires. Trim down the height of cartridge to .250 or less then file down the outer rim of the cartridge so it will fit into the tower of the canceling cam. It works. I have seen it done.

2. The round plastic retainer slips over the wires before the brass contact is soldered to the ends of the wires for the horn contacts.

3. Insert the spring into the tower on the canceling cam.(don't think you need the small steel pin. I ended up not using it-the horn works fine).

4. Insert the brass contact(with wires attached to it) into the tower on tha canceling cam.

5. Now push the plastic retainer into the tower on the canceling cam.

6. Connect horn shroud to steering wheel.

7. High five yourself as you have just connected your horn contacts to your steering wheel.:hurray:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you David, those are the instructions I was looking for. I don't understand why the new contacts aren't made with the brass piece already on it. Sounds like the shell casing method might be worth trying out. I don't have guns but I'm sure one of my buddies has one lying around. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Thank you David, those are the instructions I was looking for. I don't understand why the new contacts aren't made with the brass piece already on it. Sounds like the shell casing method might be worth trying out. I don't have guns but I'm sure one of my buddies has one lying around. Thanks again for your help.
You are very welcome:yes:. I'm with you on the brass contact part. It makes no sense not to include it on a new set of horn contacts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts