Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a set of belts from a guy advertising in the parts for sale section of this sight. Although the price was cheap ($25) I was told they were a deluxe set out of a 69 Camaro. When I got them in the other day for starters they were black standard buckles and the chrome was rusty as could be. The belt webbing however doesn't appear to be rotten. The major problem is with the retractors. All the 69 retractors i've seen are long shaped to go in between the seat and the rocker panel and come up and out beside the seat. The retractors he sent are almost a square shape that if bolted in the original holes would protrude out about three inches so you couldn't slide the seat back any! It would have to stay all the way forward! These retractors look like they'd have to mount on top of the rocker panels to work correctly. I've never seen anything like this on a Camaro.

He still holds true to the fact that he knows what he's talking about and I don't and said if I want to send them back he'll refund the money. Problem is I'll have as much paid out in shipping as I have in the belts. I've emailed him back to see if he'll split the shipping because I think it's HIS mistake and not mine.I actually think he should refund my money, and shipping to me and back to him. He is the one that sent the wrong misrepesented part and also in pretty rough shape too! If your not sure about something don't sell it like you are. If your wrong take responsibility bite the bullet and take the loss! Somebody settle this for me! Who is right Me or the other guy?

·
Registered
88 Posts
My customers in my business have to be completely satisfied before they pay me.
If they aren't when the job is complete we will redo the job at our expense.
Even when I quote a job way to low in error we stand by it. You would not believe how many customers say that they understand the error and would let me correct it.
I think when you buy from an individual, you have to be more careful. Fact is you might not get you money back, and lucky it was only $25.00.

·
Registered
151 Posts
probably belts out of a chevelle. the retractors are completely different. i agree the product was misrepresented, but what did you expect for $25? a pair of retractors alone will sell for $75-$100 if they are in decent shape. He should still refund all of your money though, if he's an honest dude. Good luck.
Tybor

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do agree with you Bed. I think it is really import ask a lot of questions and see pictures before buying anything thoough on internet or ads. At least he going to give you your money back. I take it Round is in the construction buisness.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they'll sell for that much if they're in decent shape. I wasn't expecting new stuff for $25. Actually I pretty much knew that they weren't going to be in good shape for the money. Believe me the quality matched the price. If your going to advertise parts especially if your coming into this Camaro forum to advertise, you should know what you have. He said he had three cars with a barn full of parts. When I asked for a set of belts he asked "what color do you want...Standard or deluxe etc". He advertised having parts and he set the price on the belts. If I were just unhappy with the quality I could understand just settling for my money back and lose the shipping. To me it's different if they're not even what he says they are and won't even fit! I feel he should refund my money and shipping costs i have paid unless he can produce the product we initially agreed upon. If he can I'd be happy. Am I being unreasonable?? If I send them back and lose the shipping I'm better off to just keep them and take my sticking. I knew it was too good to be true. I should have known it would be long, hard, fast, and repeatedly!!

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I can see it now.... seat belts on ebay sold for $250.00 out of early Chevelle might be a COPO Chevelle, rough shape but very rare parts. Located in Al. Very low reserve....

I hope no one gets excited about this post, just thought it might be a way to recoupe your money.......

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cpodeep, It probably would but there is one problem. i'm too honest to F##k people like that. I guess thats why i've never been too good at selling stuff on ebay. If people gave an honest description of a lot of that stuff it would be questionable if the landfill would take it!!

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Bedanobub,
That is exactly my point! Ebay is way out of control. I was attempting to add some humor to your situation. What is really sad is that some one would put that as an add on ebay, and before it was all over someone would have a shi##y set of seat belts for way to much money.I'm looking for parts and pieces for my 68, but I try to stay away from ebay for large dollar Items. I commend your honesty and integrity. Go to the Chevelle web site and place an ad and just try to get your money back.

Good Luck

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car

[This message has been edited by cpodeep (edited 02-01-2002).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it was just a joke but a lot of people do that on ebay. Currently the guy when asked if he'll make up the shipping charges or exchange the retractors for the correct ones, said he's looking for the pictures of the car they came from. He said he'll email them to me like thats going to prove they are original 69 Camaro seat belts! I've got a Hurst super shifter that came out of a 69 too for sale. Oh forgot to add you'll have to butcher up the trans tunnel to make it fit; but it did come out of one!! Also got a narrowed 9" rear differential that came out of a 69. Will bolt right in (with some minor modifications)just kidding

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I've had varying luck on ebay. Even with pictures and answers to my questions, items do not always meet expectations. I've been ripped off, when the guy knew what he was doing, and also had misunderstandings where I thought the guy was not trying to rip me off.
Overall, I've had more good experience than bad. Total value of purchases (both ebay and other sight unseen transactions)$ 1000. Total value of bad experience $ 50.
Some of the parts were better than expected.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Who is this jerk who sold you those things?? It bothers me to know that people like that are out there...what's his email??? We'll tell him how it's supposed to be...

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
I can see the deluxe confusion because std belts came in deluxe interior cars unless the deluxe belts were ordered. Pictures would resolve problems like this though.

Over time and deals like this I have learned that if the seller knows what he has he will ask fair to top dollar for the item. Those offering fantastic deals $25 for what should bring $100 or more tells me the seller doesn't have any intrest other than cleaning out the barn!!

How much is the shipping? If you only recoupe $10 - $15 back, you may want to find out what they really came off and sell them to cover your expenses and write this off as a lesson learned. It shouldn't happen but we all get caught once in a while!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silver69Camaro:
Who is this jerk who sold you those things?? It bothers me to know that people like that are out there...what's his email??? We'll tell him how it's supposed to be...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linch mob approach is not advised. It was stated that the seller would take the belts back and give a refund. They may well have been pulled out of a 1st gen and the seller may not have known they were not correct!

If communications breakdown with the seller the buyer should contact [email protected] for help resolving the problem. If the seller is found to be less than honest Al will whack his ads and restrict his access.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't buy them on ebay. The guy advertised in the 69 parts for sale section of this web sight a couple months ago. His ad says 69 Camaro parts cheep. The fact that he stated he had a barn full of parts he stripped off of three 69 Camaros kind of led me to believe he might know a little bit about the cars. Yes $25 was cheap but if you see the belts he sent you would all say "well if the retractors were right i guess they'd be worth that much" They were rusted up pretty bad so the price reflected the quality. I was not upset over the deluxe or standard issue. I know they can be confused and for $25 I wasn't going to sweat it. But the fact that the most Important belts I needed (front) won't work was why I was upset. The overlooked things on top of this is what has made me want my shipping charges back also. He offered to give me my money back but I'm money ahead to keep them if I have to pay shipping again and he knows that. I have already prooved without a shadow of a doubt that the retractors are wrong but he still is sticking to his guns saying there the right ones. I've even asked him to show me how to properly install them because my factory bolt location doesn't appear to accomodate these retractors! I'm going to bitch with him back and forth a little bit then just keep them if he doesn't see things my way. I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. I'll keep my eyes peeled for him trying to sell more parts here or on ebay and if he doesn't watch his "P's and Q's" I'll be there to get his a$$!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE....
After several emails over the last week the guy finally replied back and said he'd refund the initial money and $6.95 which was the extra I paid him to ship them to me. He first said he would email me a picture showing they came out of a 69 but then finally said he couldn't find it. He still says he knows he sent me the correct parts and I'm being unreasonable. He said they came out of a 69 Camaro that he used to use to race. The car also had fiberglass seats from what he says. I figure it is an old car that has had many swapped out parts on it in the past (he did say raced) someone took the highly demanded Camaro belts and swapped in some they had laying around.

When I send the belts back I'm cutting out pictures from some resto catalogs to show him what correct retractors and deluxe belts look like. Then maybe he'll know he's wrong and not try to re-sell them to another fellow hobbiest who might just take the sticking and go on!

As for the issue of "What do you expect for that price". I think of it like this; I've paid out too much for stuff before that didn't wind up to be worth a damn. I've also got stuff cheap that turned out to be a good deal. You can't always go on an items price to reflect the quality if you can't see it for yourself. You have to go on the sellers word and if he misrepresents the part you've got a problem. If you were buying a 69 Z on ebay that was advertised as a #'s matching car and the going appraised value of a Z in that condition was around (estimated) $25,000 and the price you got it for was $17,000 you'd be happy. Then you get it and find out it's not a #'s Matching at all and was worth maybe what you paid but probably not you'd be pissed. You'd want your money AND the truck charges of shipping it to you because it was misrepesented. If I knew they weren't the right ones, I'd have passed them up and found a set elsewhere just like you and the Z.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts