Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
little info on the car:

69' camaro project that's been in a barn for past 30 years (last registered in '82 in indiana), 71,xxx original miles, originally daytona yellow with black vinyl top/ strato black interior, matching number car with original 350/power glide trans (column shift), 12bolt rear with 331 gear, original a/c car, ps, pwr drum brake. came as a complete car, and tested the motor and it will still turn over. unsure with what direction i am going to take this build, but i will figure all that out once i get done with the metal replacement.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Andrew, looks like a nice project, and matching numbers too! :thumbsup:
Interesting engine compartment wiring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, not sure is up with all that to be honest. since the car has sat, someone along the way has tried to "do some work to it", but was better off leaving it alone. they tried doing everything they could to just put the ignition on a switch. but as you can see, it is haggard as all get out.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yeah good save and if an LM1 worth bringing back as born IMHO.

Brian

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Good start. I agree to look into the LM1 possibility. If you need another opinion drop me a PM. I'm 15 minutes up the road and been messing with this old junk since the early 70s. PS.. the jack hook is wrong... lol :beers:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andrew, you might want to check out this article: http://www.camaros.org/lm1.shtml

From your pics, I think this car is an LM1. It should be a 350/255 with a q-jet. Looks like power drums too. Kinda rare :) good score!
it is an lm1 car.

you posted his car is for sale so??? 8500.00 firm....
literally brought it home and started taking pictures to start the build documentation. didnt even bother with taking writing off the glass. its already in my shop being torn apart.

Welcome, Andrew! If the drivetrain is all original, it sure sounds like a LM1. What part of Indiana did it come from? Check here for how to decode everything: http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml
it came from anderson

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
meant to say it appears to be an lm1 car. still working on decoding the vin. ill let you guys know what i come up with here in a few minutes.

·
11,280 Posts
The VIN and trim tag will only help get the build dates and whether it was a V8 car (remember the LM1 was mostly before the X-codes). The engine stamp and the VIN stamp on the engine will prove if it is an LM1 or not. Engine code should be an HR for a powerglide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok guys, what ive came up with so far is:

~production date is october of '68
~25,527 sequence number
~made in norwood plant
~originally daytona yellow with black vinyl top
~came equipped with power drum brakes
~standard strato black bucket seats

vin # ___ 124379N525527
cowl tag ___ 12437 NOR 154641
TR 711 76B
10C

been super busy with work today, but can provide picture of vin, cowl, pop tags if that can help you guys help me figure out exactly what this car was.

·
11,280 Posts
Build date and VIN line up fine. Pic of the POP will go a long way for the decode! :D

Make sure the Engine code says HR and the VIN is stamped and matches. Powerglide will have a date stamp on the trans pan, the stamped vin will be on a boss near the dipstick/starter on the angles part of bellhousing or on the very top of the bellhousing where it mates with the back of the engine.

http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#PadStamps Scroll to bottom for pics of the powerglide Vin locations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
on break i did some research and came across this thread right here:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7625.0

this is literally my exact car so i now know that it isnt the original block, but has a factory gm replacement. going through some of the paperwork i found the mentioning of the "73 ce warranty" motor. now knowing that it isn't 100% all original, leaves me questioning on how i want to go about the rebuild. i have several mild 454's and a slew of 4spd trans (saginaw and m21/22) that could be thrown in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it also has the 3932441 heads that are supposed to be found on the lm1 car. the block has been replaced with a factory crate. block stamping is "ce3409 43" dated to 1973 and based out of flint michigan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my next question is, if this happens to be an lm1. would it be worth the time/money to be restored to 100% factory finish looking at it as a resell point? what do the lm1 cars sell for if done that way compared to a typical resto-mod?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts