Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, saw there were a lot of combos here, and esp. ignition setups etc, but here goes....

I have a what I think to be basically stock 327 in my 68, and has the delco r45ts plugs gapped at about .041" I have a mallory unilite distributor w/ accel 140001 super coil. Is this gap right? Or should I adjust it?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I would think that gap somewhat large as it's not a multi spark system.. I'd go back to the .035 as stock then possibly try a bit larger but not much.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I will try the .035 and see what happens. I was trying to figure out an extremely rough cold idle for the past week or so, and was looking at everything, and noticed most were .041, one was .045, and one was. .030! This is a newer vehicle for me (3 mos), and for some reason I didn't pull all the plugs to check them. They look good color-wise, might need a new set just to freshen up soon, but didn't know the deal w/ the gapping. I had a fuel injected import before this, and am unfamiliar with points, hei etc. I have seen the hei pics, but still. I know I know, I had a fully built, supercharged, alcohol injected setup in it though!, but sadly it was still too slow!

I was trying to check timing, but I think the balancer has slipped due to the 28 deg. initial timing it is showing! I went to remark tdc on piston 1, but the dang crank pulley bolt is spinning/stripped, which I will have to fix next. I am running 89 octane, and get no pinging though, so I guess it is good for now, but bugs me that I don't know for sure what the timing is, so I will def. fix it soon. Oh, but I did notice a torn vac. secondary diaphragm, incorrect secondary idle stop, and loose secondary throttle plate armature, which was intermittantly giving me a vac. leak due to not seating properly all the time. I tweaked that little rod, and now it is good to go, with just a little rough idle cold, but doesn't last long. Only sitting at 15" of vac. though, which sounds low as I have either a fully stock setup or a mild cam. I think it is just stock though... no real lope now that that little vac. leak was found. I need to check the manifold and replace the valve cover gaskets now that I have fixed all my other electrical glitches!

Anyways, I'll go to .035 and see what happens. I think I remember seeing that you should NOT open the gap with just an accel coil right? You would need an msd to be able to open the gap right?

Thanks,
Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts