Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry Camaro Buds,
I tried looking for this in past topics but don't seem to find the answer, so I'm turning to your wisdom. Here's what I got, 1967 4L 250, 3 on the tree, Inline 6 all Stock. Saturday I was driving to the store and just as I pull into the parking spot my my clutch pedal goes right down to the floor board. I pop the hood and noticed that the Clutch Bellcrack Assembly came off of where it attaches to the engine. Now here's my 2 ??'s for you.

1) What you cause this? I couldn't be moving more that 5 mph when this happened.

2) If I have bad motor mounts, where do I get the either rubber or poly pad insert (The 3 rubber pieces stacked in the middle)?

Here's pics for what Im talking about:

I removed the clutch push rod

Thanks for you help

·
Registered
696 Posts
I just did an upgarade on my engine mounts.
What you need is engine mounts(the ones that bolt directly to the engine) from a 1965-1972 Chevy or GMC truck that has a 230 or a 250 CID engine(not a 292).
Then I bought reproduction 1969 Z-28 302 frame mounts.
Last I bought Energy suspension urethane black engine mounts. The narrower ones for Z-28 engines.

You can go with the less expensive mounts for a 1967-69 Camaro SBC ,like for a 327,307 ,these mounts are cheaper & even Pep Boys (an auto parts store) stocks the energy suspension engine mounts.
For some reason Z-28 SBC mounts cost more????

It took a little fanagleing to get them in,but it is worth the effort!
Before my engine always moved too much w/the passenger type tall thick rubber mounts.

·
Registered
507 Posts
1) What you cause this? I couldn't be moving more that 5 mph when this happened.
Red,
If the motor mounts are good, then check the bellcrank pivot bracket on the frame. There are "ears" where the bellcrank pivot bolts into. One or both of these ears can break and allow the bellcrank to fall out.

This happened to me long ago. I was (slowly) pulling up to a light when it broke! I fabbed a stronger bracket out of 3/8" plate. End of problem.....Jb

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Jack up car , put on stands. Then put block of wood under pan, try to jack up motor a little, bet you will see the mount part and come up to the safety lock. Looks seperated at bottom to me.

·
Super Moderator
32,785 Posts
What caused the separation is the starting torque to move the car. The engine is spinning in one direction, any application of torque will create a reaction, turning of the block in the opposite direction.

If you were to open the hood, and slip the clutch, you would probably see the driver side of the engine lift up and separate the engine mount. You will definiately have to get a replacement mount, get two, one for either side. When you let up on the pedal, the same thing happens in reverse from applying power.

As suggested, look at truck mounts to see if they have an anti-rotation device/safety device/interlocking set-up built into the mount. You may need to tie the engine down to prevent this reaction from happening again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy for your responce. Question is where do I get the Motor Mounts with the rubber already attached. I went to Napa Auto and what they gave me was a Motor Mount with no rubber attached !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it was just the Frame, no rubber attached. Here's a pictue of what I got, minus the bolt.:sad:

·
Super Moderator
32,785 Posts
Looks like a V8 mount, not what is shown in your picture.
Or do I have my tongue on the wrong side of my mouth.......

·
Registered
696 Posts
I just did an upgarade on my engine mounts.
What you need is engine mounts(the ones that bolt directly to the engine) from a 1965-1972 Chevy or GMC truck that has a 230 or a 250 CID engine(not a 292).
Then I bought reproduction 1969 Z-28 302 frame mounts.
Last I bought Energy suspension urethane black engine mounts. The narrower ones for Z-28 engines.

You can go with the less expensive mounts for a 1967-69 Camaro SBC ,like for a 327,307 ,these mounts are cheaper & even Pep Boys (an auto parts store) stocks the energy suspension engine mounts.
For some reason Z-28 SBC mounts cost more????

It took a little fanagleing to get them in,but it is worth the effort!
Before my engine always moved too much w/the passenger type tall thick rubber mounts.
I have some pics of the truck mounts you need to install onto your six cylinder,so you can install SBC engine mounts to these trucks mounts.

MBHD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts