Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switching to FI on my 68. I have a tank with an in tank pump to install. I will run a new high pressure line for the feed and use the existing line as the return. To the question. I have an 85 Iroc TPI. When you turn the key the pump will run up to pressure and stop until started. I think with the 68 the pump will run deadhead against the regulator as long as the key is on with the engine not running. Is there anything available for safety purposes to kill the pump in a key on non running condition or a condition such as a line break when no pressure is created for a few seconds due to fuel spewing?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Dead head would mean you don't have a return line.

If you are not using the stock ECM to control the fuel pump and relay, then you might want to consider a pump controller. Typical aftermarket EFI control references the RPM signal and will turn the pump off if engine speed falls below a certain point. I think the Aeromotive controller has this. Another option is to use an oil pressure sensor which will shut off the pump if oil pressure drops (engine off or upside down):
http://www.holley.com/12-810.asp

There were also some cars with a fuel pump relay that received the tach signal. Pump would turn on with ignition and then drop out after a short period if there was no signal from the tach. If you could find one of those you might be able to get it to work.

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steiner, I think you see the issue and I need to do a little more reasearch. I didnt want to go into my tank or EFI option at this time because there are too many opinions. Let's not go to that upside down thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts