Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,

I posted a question a little while ago about my Camaro kicking when it shifted from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. Most people mentioned that they thought the linkage cable was bad. Well, before i could act on that, i had some other problems and never got around to replacing the linkage cable. But now, the car WON'T shift out of 2nd gear. It is an Automatic in an '84. Could this STILL be a bad linkage cable? or is the tranny dead (dying)?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I don't want to spend the time and money to fix it unless there is a chance that the cable is causing this problem. You guys were a big help last time, and i thank you in advance for your response.

------------------
-Dan Taney
([email protected])

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is this a 700 R 4 or a 200 transmission?
If it has the cable (TVM) to the carb it is either out of adjustment or it is broke.
If it is not broke, adjust cable back to notches. The adjuster is as that bracket attached to carb. Press in with your thumb and use your fingers to push in the adjuster. You can see the teeth as you go.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Careful with that cable! To adjust it, press the silver tab and push the plastic tube where the inner cable comes out to the rear of the car (in). Then... this cable is self-adjusting, to complete the procedure, push the throttle to wide open and release it. This should pull the cable sleeve back out to where it needs to be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thank you for all of your help. It was the detent (tv) cable. I just replaced it (like $10) and now the car shifts perfectly again.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts