Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most threads are 2-10 years old here.

My 69 has a "70" 396 with a 11/68 date stamp on it, so its sorta date correct (3rd week january build). It needs a rebuild and I dont really want to spend 4k just to maintain 350 hp, and overall I'm not too thrilled with whats available for 396. I looked into building a motor from a 454 base and figure I'd be 8k in components and machine work. I love original numbers. So 396 or 427 for a first gen. I know 454 can make great power but when I see a 454 1st gen it just doesnt seem right. Then the 468 or 496 combos are just too much power for what I want/need. I keep circling back to a ZZ427. Good components, power target where I like it, warranty and if I ever had to sell it, I think it'd bring higher $$ than a 1982 C30 base 454 with trick stuff on it. I know it costs a pretty penny, and value is subjective, but is it worth it?

1. How has the oil consumption been
2. What other issues
3. Has the warranty been invoked
4. the 12495360 pan doesnt seem available. One thread recommends heat and a BFH.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have you thought about a zz454 and just putting zz427 badges on it?

If you're spending the money you might as well go as big as you can when you get used to the power.

I have a friend with a zz454, thing runs great. Another one has a zz502 and shes going strong still. No oil issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you thought about a zz454 and just putting zz427 badges on it?

If you're spending the money you might as well go as big as you can when you get used to the power.

I have a friend with a zz454, thing runs great. Another one has a zz502 and shes going strong still. No oil issues.
500 hp is enough. Not going to be a dedicated drag car. Its for cruising.

my 911 GTS is 11.3 @126 stock and for $1600 can be ECU flashed to 600 rwhp. No point in having 2 600 hp cars, esp when the chassis of the camaro cant handle it.

·
Registered
123 Posts

my 911 GTS is 11.3 @126 stock and for $1600 can be ECU flashed to 600 rwhp. No point in having 2 600 hp cars, esp when the chassis of the camaro cant handle it.
It can easily handle it, but whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
796 Posts

Once you flash that GTS any chance of warranty or goodwill will history. But if you want to pay to play, go right ahead.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The ZZ427 looks great but for not a lot more you could buy a crate 540. They all look the same from the outside.

Too much power is a myth.........

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your looking on a good return of investment I would suggest a date/period correct 427 and make a 'real' COPO clone out of it. Not necessarily a Yenko, just one that has that 'look'. I know it's not a cheap option but a well done clone go for good dollars these days.

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
273 Posts
I have a 68 that was a 396. PO put in a Gen V 454 crate motor, it is actually a Gen VI block (has mechanical fuel pump, 4 bolt, is a factory roller block and 1 piece RMS. Problem is the PO tried to mod the engine with too big of flat tappet cam and stock heads.
I bought this as a retirement project so I am rebuilding the motor myself. Im in it just under 7k including some tooling I think but I have done a lot of extra component replacements like Bowtie oval port aluminum heads, polished ARP 12 point bolts, intake, roller cam and peripherals, fan, fan clutch, other non engine related parts too.
I looked at the ZZ427 but I was looking at $12k. I decided to rebuild the motor. Since my wife kept reminding me that I said I can do things myself. Like the OP I have a 6 cylinder BMW motorcycle that is beyond fast enough, I think these cars are torque monsters that is a hoot to drive around. Anything in the 400-500HP range especially with as much torque will fit the bill.
One thing to keep in mind as I had an issue getting parts now. Forget getting anything Edelbrock or any type of aftermarket cam. Theres like a national backorder due to Covid and Edelbrock selling out. Im in Calif and CARB is putting the clamps on engine parts.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
573 Posts
I don't want to see contrary, but I don't understand the allure of the zz427. Its not a reproduction of the period 427 and for less money from some place like Blueprint you can have an BBC that makes more power. Yeah, I heard that the OP said he did want any more but pay more to have less? Is it just so you can say it is a 427? Blueprint has a warranty so that's not a good reason. I did see someone say they thought using a create engine from Chevy provided some extra value if you wanted to sell but I don't but that either.

Sorry if I sound like I'm being a jerk. I don't intend to, I just don't get it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't want to see contrary, but I don't understand the allure of the zz427. Its not a reproduction of the period 427 and for less money from some place like Blueprint you can have an BBC that makes more power. Yeah, I heard that the OP said he did want any more but pay more to have less? Is it just so you can say it is a 427? Blueprint has a warranty so that's not a good reason. I did see someone say they thought using a create engine from Chevy provided some extra value if you wanted to sell but I don't but that either.

Sorry if I sound like I'm being a jerk. I don't intend to, I just don't get it.
Exactly my thoughts. I don't care who made the engine, as long as it sounds mechanically and drives well, it makes no difference to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts