Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Trying to finish up this stereo install in my '67. One final piece is the antenna cable. The one that the original owner had been using was an abomination, with 4 inches of the original cable spliced to 12 inches of different cable, and then spliced onto a corvette antenna assembly.

Well, all that is gone, I have the correct antenna assembly in, but no antenna cable. Can I make one of these from radio shack with the correct connectors, or is it something I'm going to have to order 3rd party, which will delay getting this back together...

Thanks!

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
No the connector is standard issue. Spool wire and male end for radio.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the connector is standard issue. Spool wire and male end for radio.
Thanks Brian. Do you have the specifics on what it might take to make the cable? What guage of wire would you say it is? I'm thinking 14? And are both ends male banana plugs? Wasn't sure of the connector hole size in the antenna assembly.

Will make a trip to Radio Shack tomorrow and pick up the pieces.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
You need shielded coax cable and they are generally bought in the length you need. It is a plug used for antennas and I do not know what they are called but the kits for stock have different ends: http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-am-fm-radio-antenna-assembly-kit-front-1967-1969.html
If you are installing an aftermarket stereo you will probably need it to be the standard antenna plug for the radio side and whatever works in your antenna on the other. There you go, "Motorola type" plug.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's perfect Brian! They have them in stock at my local store as well. I don't have a pic, but the retro sound head unit has a female end as well, so the plug will have the Motorola male plug on both ends.

You guys know if I can use speaker wire for this connection? I've got a ton of it here at the house.

Thx

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yeah you can use any two lead wiring but the coax cable is shielded to help eliminate Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). Common when electric motors, or windings such as heater, wiper, alternators run, or your points open and close. Try it and see if the noise it bearable for you. It will be worse on AM frequencies in areas of weak transmission or daylight hours in marginal station coverage.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, looks like I was wrong about the antenna assembly recepticle, as it does not accept a male input, only the head unit did. Does this look like the right part that I need in the link below? If not, can someone point me to the right Radio Shack part?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102836

Thanks!

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Show me your antenna base. The part listed there is a female jack for the male Motorola connection.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Okay now I see what you are looking for. You will have to take the base with you and if the radio shack female fits and makes the connection you are golden. If it doesn't then you can either buy the official cable for the base, or Jerry-Craft the center of the cable tot he center of the base and solder it in place then do the same with the outer strand to the outer of the base.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, RS didn't have any suitable parts. I refuse to pay almost $50 for a 12 foot cable designed to work with the antenna assembly. SO, I went with a hideaway antenna, that just plugs into the head unit and then free flows through the dash. I'm putting it all back together now and shouldn't be a problem getting to the antenna jack without tearing everything up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts