Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm getting ready to put the '68 on the road that I've been working on for 2 years, I'm thinking of what steps I can take to keep someone from stealing it.

These cars are really trivial to steal. All you need is a jumper wire and a screwdriver and you're off. Alarms seem pretty worthless as are kill switches. I guess I could chain the hood. They used to sell key operated fuel shutoff valves, but don't seem to anymore. I'm just wondering what others are doing?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I drive my 68rs every day. I have logged almost 70,000miles in the last 6 years. I cover my car, if they don't know what it is, they most likely won't steal it. I also use a steering wheel lock. Other than that I keep it in the garage.
Dale

·
Registered
519 Posts
I haven't finished my vintage air install and so I don't know where exactly I'm going to mount my ECU. So for now I "mount" the ECU in the lip of my Dash behind the glove box door which gives it a secure mount and ground without being screwed down. So whenver I park my car for more than a few minutes I take the ECU with me. I have peace of mind that the only way it's getting stolen is being towed/hauled away. No way to jump start / hotwire a fuel injected vehicle that has no ECU.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Grant removable steering wheel system, hood locks, reed magnet switch hidden somewhere. See www.nohotwire.com or www.powerlock.com. There are some great older posts on this forum to search for.
Started reading about the Ravelco that you linked. Man that sounds impressive. The site claims that in over 3.5 million installes over the past 31 years not a single vehicle has been stolen. The claim is a little far fetched IMO especially in light of vehicles being towed/hauled away. However, it sounds a heck of a lot better than even the best kill switch or alarm.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Started reading about the Ravelco that you linked. Man that sounds impressive. The site claims that in over 3.5 million installes over the past 31 years not a single vehicle has been stolen. The claim is a little far fetched IMO especially in light of vehicles being towed/hauled away. However, it sounds a heck of a lot better than even the best kill switch or alarm.
Is this the one that you can plug a wet potatoe into and start? Seen it done long ago.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I mounted a toggle switch in the interior wired into the negative of the coil on my 88 Toyota pickup when I lived in San Diego. It was mounted near the gas pedal so I could flip it on or off with my foot so no one could see reach for it. I've replaced more than one door lock, and even pulled a broken key out of the ignition switch one morning, and this was with an alarm installed. A few tried, but no one ever got away with it.

I'll do the same on my car (if ever finished) and will add a Lojac type device as if some one really wants it at least I'll be able to track it down.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
If you read between the lines, it says it has never been defeated. Meaning they have never recovered a car that they know about that had someone bypass their system. Sure their lawyers helped pick that term.

I'm sure a lot of cars have been stolen on the back of a tow truck but these guys can still claim they haven't been defeated.

Unfortunately, there is no way to keep someone from stealing your ride. All you can do is make it more difficult for them and stop the "joy rider" from stealing your car.

I used to be a mechanic and would see all sorts of cars w/state of the art security systems come in for insurance repairs after they were recovered from a theft. Some guys even stole the security system (I assume to make a point).

My advice is not to let your car out of your sight if you can help it but don't get so paranoid that you can't enjoy your Camaro.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nothing beats a real time GPS system, they may steal it but at least you have a good chance to catch them and get it back.
The unit is $100 the sim card service through Boost Mobile is .35 a day and the GPS real time tracking service is $60 per year or $5.95 per month. Pay only when needed with the monthly service.
Hard wire the unit to a covert location like behind the grill on the core support behind the battery and track location, speed and direction in real time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 67 Camaro and just installed a Marksman M12A 2 way remote. It's great because it pages or beeps when my alarm goes off up to 2000 feet away. It also shows where on the car someone is messing with. Do a goggle search for this alarm. I paid $400 installed with a hidden kill switch, motion sensor, so when my windows are rolled down and someone sticks there grubby hands inside my car, the alarm will go off. It comes with a lot of options, like remote start, trunk release, impact sensor and also a built in Temperature senor, So I know when my car gets cold and I could turn on the gargage heater . J/K. I live in Sunny So. California so I don't have to worry about that. But look into this alarm, because I had the same concerns and feel alittle better now when I park my car. If you want to get really serious about keeping your car safe, they also sell a GPS Tracking, which I'm planning on putting on my daughter's car without knowing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone ever used a line lock as an anti theft device? Obviously you couldnt use a solenoid it would have to be a type of mechanical lock to hold the line pressure. It could be plumb and the knob stick through the firewall to be hidden under the dash to lock and unlock the brakes. Even if someone hotwired the car they couldn't drive off and it would be harder to drag it and tow it off. Just an idea I have been kicking around.

·
Registered
68 Camaro RS SS 454 BB Automatic with 373 gears
84 Posts
Has anyone ever used a line lock as an anti theft device? Obviously you couldnt use a solenoid it would have to be a type of mechanical lock to hold the line pressure. It could be plumb and the knob stick through the firewall to be hidden under the dash to lock and unlock the brakes. Even if someone hotwired the car they couldn't drive off and it would be harder to drag it and tow it off. Just an idea I have been kicking around.
I used my creativity and stuff I've seen in movies that expose hidden drug stash's after a series of moves that will engage or disconnect the neutral safety switch that cuts any power to the car and invested in locking hood latches. All I can say is good luck figuring it out!!! Anti theft alarms don't even draw attention anymore, but with some creative wiring, even with the key's it's not going to start 😏. So whatever you go with, good luck and hope you're car's stay safe 👌

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.