Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 3 year old house and it's time to get a sidewalk and step for my porch. My porch is about 16" above ground now. I plan to put in a single step. I've got a friend of a friend who is going to lay the step up for me, but he sugggested that I go ahead and dig the footer and get it in place first. Which I really didn't have a problem with, but I am trying to figure out how far down from the top of the step to the top of the footer should be? I am guessing that he will lay concrete block up first, then brick on the outside???

Below is a crude drawing of what I am wanting. The main thing is to get the footer at the right depth. I will make it wide enough and strong enough to accomodate however he wants to lay it, but I think depth is critical. Should the top of the footer be at 16" or 18" to account for the height of the brick on top?

·
Registered
894 Posts
You should ask him, the guy who is going to do the step how he's going to do it. Then you will know what needs to be done. Are you pouring concrete sidewalks or are they going to be brick also?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know..... it's just one of those deals where he's doing me a favor, I hate to keep bothering him with little details. But to do it right, I guess I really should talk to him.

I will be pouring a concrete sidewalk up to it.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was concerned about of the sidewalk cracking with the weight of the step on it during freezing and thawing.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If that's your concern you could always form up for your sidewalks and where the step will be just dig a little deeper so the sidewalk is thicker where the step will be.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
If the step is going to 'connect' to the house in any fashion, with bolts or other attachment, then your steps need a footing foundation the same as the house, so they move at the same time if they ever do move. Otherwise, the steps might move at different direction and speed than the house itself. If the steps are to 'float' right next to the house, thats totally different story and your mason will know what to do. Have plenty of pizza and soda and :beers: for when the job is done. :)

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Click. Yeah. I understand that. I am somewhat familiar with concrete work, foundations and that theory, just not sure on the brick laying part. I will talk it over with him.
And this is actually going to be a steak and beer project. He negotiated that part pretty early on. :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
If I were doing this on my house here's how I would do it. I would form up my sidewalks and step and pour them together. Then you could brick over the step if you want a brick step.
As Click said you can drill back into the foundation on your house and put some rebar in the holes building a cage inside the step. That's if you're worried about it.

I have a brick house with a porch and that's how I did mine 6-7 years ago and they look perfect. I didn't brick the step though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts