Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking forward to purchasing a restored first gen, and I'm curious how many people actually drive theirs daily, say 5 days per week?

If so, what type of insurance do you have?

I would love to be able to daily drive a classic, but all the insurance companies I see require you to only use it as a weekend car, and have to have another daily driver car also insured.

I have 2 cars right now but plan on selling both of them and just want a first gen and nothing else (tired of having 2 insurance payments)

·
Registered
580 Posts
One of our 67's was a daily driver until my stepson left for college. Now it gets out only once a week at best. :D (FWIW, our insurance carrier is AAA.)

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I have Farmers Full coverage on 2 cars and a Harley and liability on 2 other cars less than $100 a month. I beat the heck out of my camaro EVERYDAY! normally roast the tires for the gate guards at the base when I go thru!! they LOVE that! sometimes it chirps third too....

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My daughter has been driving her 69 everyday for the past 3 1/2 years. She's now almost 20, liability only and fingers crossed . I looked at it this way, I could buy some jap mobile which will loose almost all its value in five yrs or build her a 69 camaro, that if it survives will at least hold its value.JMO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies everyone,

jg95z28 - did your insurance company know it was used as a daily?

mb302rs- who is your insurance company? is she listed as a driver for the 69?
btw, your daughter is a lucky girl!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
When I first got my beater Camaro, I used it sparingly and had a $5000 stated value policy on it even tho it cost me only $1200. But that was 1988 dollars. Had to teenage boys still at home then but they had their own cars. I think I paid about 15-20$ a month for full coverage.

liability only and fingers crossed .
I hope that she's not driving the red 69 in your signature. Even if it's not, a 69 daily driver has got to be worth at least 5-10K. Liability only? No comp or collision? Wow! you must be feeling lucky.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yes , guys the red car in my sig is her's . We built it for her 16th b'day. Yes, she is listed as full time driver of it. And the insurance co. is Allstate. Have you checked on prices to insure a teen with full coverage in a classic?:noway:
I feel at this point whatever happens I'm ahead of the game . Lets say it's worth --12,000 and we have a total loss ,"not likely" I've spent 3,000 per yr.
for her transportation. Thats just 250.00 per mo. For my other daughter's
16th in dec 06 she got a 2002 couger( I know its a f**d product) but its what she wanted (Mom must have dropped her when little). I expect it to be worth alomst nothing when she's finished with it.;)

·
Registered
580 Posts
jg95z28 - did your insurance company know it was used as a daily?
That's a good question. To be honest, I let my wife handle the car insurance as it would probably make my head explode if I knew exactly how much our stepsons were costing us. ;) However I think she told them "weekend use" only.

However, I did have take it in to get inspected for full coverage. But then two years earlier they didn't make me take in the RS. (Which IMO is worth more money.) They do make me report the mileage every year, so who knows what they really think.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I drove my 67 daily for about 4 years, all thru highschool. I finally bought a truck so i just drive the 67 on the weeknds now and everyonce in a while to work. If gas wasnt so high id probably drive it a lot more but the way gas is its just to expensive for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts