Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if there would be any significant balancing issues in a 400 sbc if using 5.7 inch rods as opposed to stock. Would there be any extra vibration? That's about it, hehe, and thanks in advance.

BW

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
if you do get it balanced, then it won't have any different vibration issues than if you had it balanced with the shorter rods.

·
Registered
142 Posts
In my opinion, yes you should get the assembly rebalanced. The pistons must be changed as well so now you are talking about two critical items. The 250.00 will be well spent considering you will have over 1000 into the motor just swapping rods and pistons.

·
Registered
598 Posts
On my 327, I had a machinist tell me he will only balance a crank and rods after all the new piston rings have been fitted. I would also need to take in the flywheel and harmonic balancer. This would probably be a requirement in the case of an externally balanced 400.

[This message has been edited by bonecrusher67conv (edited 04-17-2002).]

·
Registered
701 Posts
My machinist balances all parts seperately in case something goes wrong down the road, harmonic balancer seperate, flywheel seperate. has worked great for me. by the way , spend your money on a fluidamper after you spend that money on the balancing, it makes all the difference in the entire rpm band. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about using the aftermarket internally balanced crank. With this in mind, would I still need to get the whole assemply balanced if I used stock length rods and pistons? Thanks for the responses, btw. It is coming close to purchase time, so all this info is quite helpful.

BW

·
Registered
142 Posts
BW, I had checked into that crank and in reality it should be "may be internally balanced." The counterweights are oversize and must be machined down to provide the final balance. Anyway you look at it, you will need to balance the entire rotating assembly.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, I see. Well, if I'm gonna do it, I guess I better do it right, heheh. Thanks for the info everyone, it is very helpful!

BW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts