Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm looking to rebuild my distributor (68 camaro), I would like to know if there are any online ''how-to'' or any publications to help me do that.

I couldn't find any good online source for clear and usefull information on that topic.

I'm pretty sure there must me a step by step somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

g.b.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
humm, thanks, I had found those publications but I am looking for something with a little more details...
I want to know how to check the shaft play, change bushings, how and what to use for upper shaft lubrification, etc etc..
A real rebuild... not what I would call a ''check-up''

thanks anyways!

g.b.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I want to know how to check the shaft play, change bushings,
There are old posts here on that.
Couple things to note here:
1/ it is the shaft that wears, so in most cases a replacement of the shaft is all thats need... sometimes one can get away with 2 shafts per set bushes
2/The sintered bushes are pressed in VERY carefully and skill fully because the cant be reemed to final size... reeming fills in the gaps between the sintered bits in the bushs which stops lubrication

the top bush gets lubed because the oil 'climbs' the shaft to the top bush.. it is still the top bush/ shaft that wears the most which is why most of the variation in timing happens.

For the home workshop, I strongly suggest just replacing the shaft, and test that to see if takes the play/ timing variation out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts