Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the sound of the exhaust at the end of this video (especially the very end, the last 3 seconds): http://www.americanautowire.com/images/imagelib/Installation-QT-Large.mov Beware, it's not 56K friendly.

Any suggestions on what muffler I could use to get something close to that sound? I've got a fairly high HP 383 with 2.5 inch exhaust and generic turbo mufflers currently. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and I don't want something that'll rattle your teeth or really irritate the neighbors (just mildly irritate them :D ), but sound tough.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
My goodness that was a long video, lol. Anyway it's hard to tell what mufflers they are, the engine has such a large effect on the exhaust note. If you are looking for a nice deep sounding muffler I would suggest hooker Aerochambers they will give you a sound similar to that in the video if you run some sort of tailpipes, with no tailpipes they would be even deeper. Borlas are very nice but, they are expensive. The small sound clip in my profile are 3" Borlas with turn downs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. They're Boyd Coddington Smoothie II's, 245/45/17's and 275/40/17's.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Yeah, sounds like some type of chambered muffler like Flowmasters or the V-Force mufflers. But most of the muffler makers have their own version of the Flowmaster style now so it would be tough to know for sure. I thought they sounded a little hollow and tinny but exhaust is a personal preference thing so it's tough to offer much thought.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You had me curious about the mufflers so I emailed americanautowire.com. They forwarded my email to the owner of the Camaro and he replied. It had spin tech mufflers with x-pipe, he didn't say what size. He changed mufflers since to dynomax super turbos to quiet it down.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Thanks. I guess I should've thought of emailing them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In the video they had already been changed, so you're hearing 2 1/2 inch dynomax super turbo mufflers. I thought the spin tech's sounded alot meaner, but because they were slightly louder, they became annoying on long trips.
Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts