Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 69 w/ th350 & floor shifter. Brand new neutral safety switch. Checked all circuits and have power at both sockets when in reverse..............until I install the bulbs. The connections at the sockets and at the safety switch go dead,(no fuses blow). Checked the continuity of the ground wires in the trunk (good wire & all marker/brake lights work).
I am baffled..... This circuit checks out fine until I install those 1156 bulbs, which are also brand new. Any help.

Ed Hall Fallston, MD

·
Registered
886 Posts
try just one bulb at a time incase you have a bad bulb... also, your bulbs only have one connection on the bottom right (not two like your brake lights), right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I remember right 1156 are turn signal lights not back up. You need one with only one contact on the bottom not two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the 1156 bulbs only have one contact on the bottom and I have tried one at a time as well as several different bulbs but to no avail.:confused:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My guess would be to double check all connections for tightness and corrosion. Maybe try hooking up a test jumper wire from the socket to ground?

TTFN
Mat

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
My guess would be to double check all connections for tightness and corrosion. Maybe try hooking up a test jumper wire from the socket to ground?

TTFN
Mat
I'm with Mat.

When I first put in my tko I had exactly the same indications. Voltage at the sockets, but put the bulbs in and NUTTIN.
Found that the connector was not plugged all the way into the trans, would pass some voltage, but not enough current to light the lights.

·
Super Moderator
32,771 Posts
but not enough current to light the lights.
I'm with JimM, not enough current flowing to light the filaments of both bulbs.

The switch may be the limiting factor. Jumper around the switch and see if light(s) come on, or closer to the source of power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wanted to let you all know the outcome. I am not an electric wiz but it would seem that my pink wire from the fuse panel to the switch was bad. I checked it for voltage (11.8) and for continuity which it had, however when the bulbs were in it went dead. My best guess is the wire was partially broke somewhere causing it to overload when the resistance of the current was applied. Typical of an undersized wire. Does this make sense to anyone?
So I ran a new 16ga wire from fuse to switch and they worked. Hope it helps someone one day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts