Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Honda Civic that my grandmother bought new, she passed about 3 yrs ago, my dad asked my to start driving it for him to keep it up. My wife takes it to work and back about 30 min drive each way. She noticed the other day after a long drive the rpms surged at a stop sign or red light. It does not do it on short trips, the car otherwise is perfect with only 30k miles. The rep at the honda shop said it was a idle air control valve, 250.00, before i replace this thing is there any other options? Is it cleanable, i have pulled it and checked it, and cleaned the exposed area, didnt seem to help. Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi on your honda i would clean the throttle body first.get an old tooth brush or the wifes [just kidding] get some 3m throttle body cleaner, not the chock and carb cleaner . can be found at any good parts store open the throttle and clean away.the car may be hard to start with all that cleaner in intake but will be ok. if it is dirty, the idle wil go lower than the computer wants and will idle it up. the surging may bacoused by this. let me know how it go's good luck anthony

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i will do that today, also, as long as the wife dosnt notice the taste i bet the throttle body cleaner can also be used as a teeth whitener!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts