Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an engineering student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I am aspiring to be an automotive engineer. My question is, where can I find a job (like in a garage or automotive service dept.) that would hire someone without any formal experience. I'm just seeking something to get me all the experience I can (Help me develop more skills). I don't have a lot of experience but I'm up for about anything. Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I have a younger cousin in Diesel mechanic's school. He got a job as a counter guy at the parts store. Then went to a automotive shop and did brake jobs, etc. Now he is trying to get into Detroit Diesel. Good career path IMO.

Sometimes companies will have an apprenticeship program for students. Check out what industries are in town and make a few calls. Maybe your profs would know. Sometimes they have contacts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like good advice thanks, any other personal experiences or new ideas are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JLD:
Sounds like good advice thanks, any other personal experiences or new ideas are welcome. Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check with Norfolk Southern Railroad. They have an Intern program at the Repair Shop, which is located in Charlotte, but I'm not sure how it works.
Arley

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd check out automotive schools. I have a friend who went to sequoia institute here in california and graduated at top ten percent of his class, and will be probably getting a job with porsche soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just read about a school that is put on by Reher-Morrison. It sounds like it could be really good, but it cost almost $1800. Anyone else heard of it or been through it??

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
JLD,

Take a walk around the engineering building on campus and see if they have a mechanical engineering lab that has a dyno. Many engineering colleges have these plus other programs that are automotive related. Find out if there is a professor that is in charge of the lab and make an appointment to talk with him/her. Also ask some of the seniors about the program and the professor (get to know your subject before talking to them.)

Professors like students who are knowledgeable, courteous, have a sense of humor, and are persistent. If you play your cards right you might be able to weasel your way into something.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts