Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I currently drive a 1999 Chevy Camaro, V6, RS model, RWD, 3800 series II engine, 200 HP stock.

I want to know is this make and model known or notoriously for anything?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not sure about the actual car, BUT the 3800 while IMHO one of the best GM ever made (V6 wise) has some known issues that should have been recalled but never were. They are a pain, but reality easy to fix yourself if you are handy with tools;

They used plastic elbows as a coolant/heater bypass that connects through the belt tensioner, strange design, but works. The plastic breaks or cracks very easily and leaks coolant. You can buy new elbows made of aluminium for under $10 in most help sections at your parts store. It takes about a half hour to change them, don't buy new plastic ones, the metals ones are only a few bucks more.

Intake issues, GM used plastic gaskets on both Upper and Lower Intake. They are also prone to leaking coolant and oil. Again not huge job, about 2 hours if ya don't know what you are doing and about an hour if ya do. Parts gonna cost ya about 160-200 depending on where ya get them. Again used the Updated lower manifold gasket, it's metal, so far, I do not think anyone is making an upper metal gasket, so just get a good brand. You might just need to get complete Upper Intake Kit, as sometimes the upper intake has the stove pipe erroded. Most attribute the use of GM's Dexcol coolant the say to use for these issues as it eats at the plastic gaskets. So flush system and replace with Green coolant when job is done. I do not use Dexcool in anyone of my GMs.

I've got a 2002 Monte SS Pace Car Edition with 165,000 on my 3800. Runs great, but have replaced elbows. I also just got a recall paper in the mail for Valve Cover gaskets, it said they also may leak on exhaust, the fix says they replace gaskets and also remove the engine cover and oil fill extension. (Not sure why the removal of the cover or extension tube.) I will remove them myself so they don't keep them. I think it would look naked with out the engine cover???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts