Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking out loud, wondering if anyone who has used EZ-Clips on an AC install has found something cheaper than a pair of $80 crimpers that will most likely never get used again. It would’ve been nice if VA had a no charge rental where you pay for shipping both ways and have 30-60 days to return before being billed for a set.

A few years back in the SVT Lightning/Harley truck forum a few of us bought better quality pulley puller tools to remove the OEM pulley from the superchargers. I was one of those guys and for 10 years that puller tool set got shipped all over the country no charge other than shipping. When I sold the Lightning one of the members bought the tool and he’s done the exact same thing.
The VA/Eaton tool looks a lot like the crimper pliers used to crimp PEX or other collapsing ring fasteners used in plumbing. Not having seen the actual VA tool in person I’m not 100% sure. But if there’s an alternative tool or if somebody has one and is willing to loan it out... let me know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Take your hoses to NAPA. they will crimp for a small charge. Make sure you mark and index them first.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the EZ-Clip fittings and hoses.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My Autozone rents tools for free/ minimal price. They charge a deposit to your credit card, and refund it when you bring the tool back. Worth making a few phone calls to local parts stores.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
769 Posts
I don't think the typical shop has one of these tools as it is somewhat proprietary, thus Mike's question. I bought an AC hose crimper for mine as I didn't go the EZ Crimp route. Probably need someone to ring in who actually has one to verify. I personally can't imagine VA is the sole proprietor but in reality repurposed an existing tool.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I made my own! See page 54 post #1075 of my build thread. Piece of cake to make from cheap set of channel locks and a bench grinder. They work absolutely great.
Thanks, a link to make it easier........
https://www.camaros.net/attachments/img_20191116_095922850_1573955042871-jpg.230769/
maybe this could work also?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the cheapest I've found, and the price for this exact Eaton/Aeroquip item ranges from $61 to around $115 (Amazon & Summit). Summit has a slightly different VA Brand tool.

Very tempted to just sacrifice a set of channel lock pliers although I do have a couple of the nail puller types. I think the Channel Lock width would be about right, wish I could see the real deal in person to take some measurements if that's necessary. Here's a couple of pix of a EZ-Clip Ring below. Think I'm gonna measure the width of the rings, look at what Channel Locks I have,and maybe waste a clip trying.

EZ-Clip-1F40104-C.jpg EZ-Clip Ring-01.jpg

·
13,851 Posts
You're spending $2K to put in the AC. Use the proper tool for the job and save yourself a lot of possible headaches later.

Buy the tool, use it to get the job done and sell it for $20 less than you paid to someone else that needs it.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know John... and I did order the real deal.

·
13,851 Posts
I know John... and I did order the real deal.
I’ll give you $40 for it when your done and I don’t even need it. Lol

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL... you're at the back of the line John, there's a few guys in my club who're thinking about VA who're already chirping about the tool and will I help.

·
13,851 Posts
LOL... you're at the back of the line John, there's a few guys in my club who're thinking about VA who're already chirping about the tool and will I help.
I own a hydraulic bead lock crimper. Lol

Reactions: 57vette
1 - 14 of 14 Posts