Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also asked this over on Team Chevelle

Once again I seek your wisdom..

I am looking for a certain device I've seen that mounts in your car. Its a special LED Display that somehow attaches to your radio and plugs into your lighter. Whenever there is a song playing on the radio that you like, but don't know the name of either the song or the singer, all you have to do is push a button on this display and it will automatically display the name of both the song and the artist.

Anyone here familiar with this device? If so, what is it called and where can I find one?

Please advise

·
Registered
777 Posts
We've got sirius satelite in the wifes truck and it does that, I think thats what you thinking about.If it is and you're thinking of getting one you will love it,put it on the 70's station and you feel like your wearing bell bottoms,stacks again.Am I telling my age?Seriously Garfield it is the best thing out there, service is 12.95 a month,all I can say is its great.I can add another system (for my car) for an extra 6.00 a month.Got mine from Circuit City christmas present for my wife.We also have a home docking station.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm gonna go and start pricing them this weekend

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
The stock radio in our 2001 Montana shows the Radio station/Artist and Song name of the music playing. The information is sent with the broadcast. Not all station have this tey but it has been grown greatly since we got the van. My MP3 player in my truck does it for all the music that I have on MP3s. I can put about 10 albums or more on a single cd depending on the quality. I have a few MP3 disk with over 200 songs on them. I really like that it better than the 6 cd changer in the Montana. These are all built into the decks though but no fees.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What you are talking about is RDS. Radio Display System. It's typically built into the receiver. Here's some info on it.
The Radio Data System (RDS) is available in many U.S. cities.

In the United States, FM radio stations are allocated 200 KHz of bandwidth. (In Europe, it is 100 KHz.) The station does not fill all of this bandwidth with music. RDS is a completely separate radio signal that fits within the station's frequency allocation. It carries digital information at a frequency of 57 KHz, with a data rate is 1187.5 bits per second (see this nice diagram of the FM signal for details). RDS transmits data simultaneously with a standard FM stereo (or monophonic) radio broadcast. Possible uses include transmitting song titles, station call signs, and signaling when traffic or weather reports are being broadcast.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
The RDS info is only available on certain radio stations. When we first gotr the vehicle back in 2001 there was only one local station that transmitted the info. Now I'd have to say at least half of them do.

sirius satelite is cool except for the monthly fees.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
I have XM and the cost is only $9.95 per month. Got the XM Roady II, you can buy them for $90.00 from XM online. Bought mine at best buy for $120.00 and recieved a $30.00 mail in rebate and a $30.00 gift card from best buy. Bought it in Dec around the 15. Got lucky on that deal, I only knew about the rebate and at check-out they gave me the gift card too!! I asked and it was with every purchace that day over $100.00 or something so shop around. Little antenna sits on the dash and gets reception. Takes about 30 sec to plug it and start up. Can use it in any car and at home. Get the home kit and you get a remote I think. Also has stock ticker so I can see how my Raytheon Stock is doing.

Joe

·
Registered
777 Posts
I wonder why the monthly rate is different?I hard wired mine in instead fo using the cigg adapter,also the antenna is on the roof of the truck,I also got a 30.00 dollar rebate but no gift card.I bought a seperate cradle for home use just transfer the monitor,and mine came with the remote,works in truck and home.The XM was $99.00 and each cradle home and truck was $50.00 each.Reguardless,worth every penny.Im thinking of getting one for my car can add another service for $6.00 a month more.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Originally posted by georgia 69:
only 12.95 Thats a fat girl meal at McDonalds. :eek:
ROTFBFOMN! :D (rollin on the floor, beer flew out my nose ;) )

Dano

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The Mighty Midwest may not be broadcasting that data... if you're talking about the middle of Kansas (I'm from Illinois, so to me Kansas is the midwest).

I have XM Radio as well, and it is only 9.95. Great for road... you never have to keep trying to find a new station as you travel. The comedy channels are great when all the family is aboard.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys.. sorry it took me so long to get back to this :eek:

I still havent got around to buying a new radio yet. "I've been too busy working with the engine".

When I start looking for a new radio, I think I'm gonna go Sattellite :)

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
what is so bad about commercials? heaven forbid you find out about a cool sale on something you need or want at a local mom anp pop store of some sort. i actually find some of the adverts on the radio to be mildly entertaining- especially the commercials for XM or Sirius that tell you how much you hate annoying commercials on the radio. am i the only one to see the humor and irony in that?
but then again, i am kind of weird and absolutely refuse to pay for the honor of listening to the radio. so you can hear the same music from coast to coast? part of the fun of road tripping across the USA is getting to know the local cultures, and commercial radio is the best way to do that from your car.
plus, a commercial break is the perfect time to see what is on the other stations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts