Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ditching my 8.2 for an 8.5. Is there any value to these 8.2's for someone that's into complete restorations? It's much easier to spend money on parts to get the 8.5 together, if I know that I might get some cash back from the 8.2. I see some crazy things on e-bay, and I start seeing dollar signs.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I bought one awhile back for $100.00. It's still setting in the same spot in my garage. If you find out a good place to unload them, share the info. Then again I'm running an 8.2 and would probably wish I still had it if I sold it.

------------------
Robert Johnson

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
350ci 700r4 3.55 posi

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 01-08-2002).]

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
The axles and brakes from the 8.2 will work in the 8.5.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Registered
304 Posts
how long will take me to break the 8.2 with the new 454 I am putting in sooner or later?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I don't know but you'll have fun doing it.

------------------
Robert Johnson

350ci 700r4 3.55 posi

·
Registered
234 Posts
I broke an 8.2" (1970) with a 350. What failed in my case was the u-joints (snapped). Smashed my mufflers up bad too.

On my 454 80Z28 I twisted the #ell out of my driveshaft but never broke the rear end (8.5").

My 1 piece of advice if you will run the 8.2 or anything else for that matter is to install a driveshaft loop. If anything does fail, it'll be contained, unlike my 73Z where the rear floor is torn open from the 12 bolt failing.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
that 8.2" is like a time bomb under your car if you have serious HP and torque.
I suggest you replace it with a stronger unit if needed before you break the 8.2" if a C-clip lets go it'll do some serious damage to your car, especially your quarter panel, if it happens at high speeds (when you shift a gear) or something of the sort your gonna put yourself in some serious trouble.
If your driveshaft or U-joints break if the drive shaft hangs down in the front it could possibly flip your car! be careful when you're hot rodding.

·
Registered
304 Posts
twin loops are going in (frt & rear)only going to run street tires until I can get a 9 inch under her!

------------------
drive it like you stole it!!! :D
67 327 11:1 4spd.
70 454 400thm 10 bolt posi
2000 SS camaro navy blue A4,chrome SS wheels
my camaros

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I tried to give a 10 bolt open away, a couple of years ago (sans backer plate and brakes Didn't know the axles were the same, or I'da kept them.) Anyway--no takers, so I traded it for a quarter glass. Guy was going to pull a bent axle tube out of a 12 bolt, and put the 10 bolt tube in.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That doesn't sound too promising. Why is it that people will pay 200 for a belt, but not 100 for a rear?

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

[This message has been edited by Spames (edited 01-09-2002).]

·
Registered
396 Posts
I traded mine for the drive shaft I needed when I switched to an 8.5. If you get the 8.5 from a junk yard see if you can swap the 8.2 for a drive shaft.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Come-on guys - the 8.2's aren't that bad. they are still better than the 3rd gen 7.5" rearends! If you put good quality gears and posi unit in one it will hold up just fine to a mildly built small block. Mine has made it an entire season behind my 383 and my 383 isn't exactly "mild". The C-clips and axles aren't any different than an 8.5" rear.

Behind a 454 . . . about 1319 feet!

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

·
Registered
925 Posts
They aren't worth anything, you will be lucky to give it away. Practice welding on it or use it as a boat anchor. Or sell it to some ford guy- tell him it will bolt right up and give him 100 hp

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well,
I just put the 3.73's and posi unit in this weekend. made the car alot more frindly to drive and scoots along pretty good too!
gets rubber in every gear,haven't dumped the clutch yet though. they can't be that bad if they were behind the 327's and 4 speeds that were stock,Iam guessing around 300hp and you know there weren't all babied!

well, time will tell for me!

------------------
my camaros

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I just put $600.00 in my 8.2 with posi, r&p and rebuild. Risky I guess but what the heck. You're right, time will tell.

------------------
Robert Johnson

350ci 700r4 3.55 posi

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just relized that there's an 8.2 in my 70 !
454/400 and a lead foot and she's still there! makes me feel a little bit safer

------------------
my camaros

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just FYI for those that have the 8.2 behind a big-block... it will go sooner or later!! If you want, I can send you some picutres of what happened to my 8.2 behind a mild 467 BBC! It took about 1 1/2 years, but when it went, it went good! Totally destroyed the posi carrier as it ripped it apart like a bagel!
The scary part is that it finally destroyed itself without so much as a wimper beforehand and did it when I was just driving normal. totally locked up the rearend immediately and proceeded to immediately shear the pinion gear shaft in half so the driveshaft just started banging around and then fell out of the tranny! Luckily, I was just about to my office first thing in the AM and was only going about 10 MPH, otherwise it would have been a lot worse!

Good luck,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova

1 - 20 of 20 Posts