Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy I bought my crossram from said he had a 1LE Camaro Z28 back in 69. He said it was 1 of roughly 35 made. He special ordered it strictly for drag racing and when the order was processed, Chevrolet called the dealer to ask if it was for racing and they said yes and he got the 1LE option. He said he received the stroker crank, piston and cam upgrade at a minimal price. He's going to send me a copy of his window sticker. Has anyone else ever heard of the 1LE from 68-69?

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bet he is talking about a COPO car but I would love to see the window sticker.If he comes up with it please post it for all to view.

·
Registered
94 Posts
They must have had some good drugs in the 60's! I bet the original DZ302 came in the trunk!!
All kidding aside I've heard some tall stories of rare "special order" cars from the 60's and some I know are true and some are B.S.. If the guy produces and invoice and docs on the car,who knows maybe he had some factory connections or was a factory backed drag racer?(unlikely but possible).I have never heard of the option,but I don't claim to know them all. Cary

69 Z-28 R/S Daytona Yellow

------------------

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He said he worked at a dealership and he bought the car specifically for drag racing. It will be interesting to see if he can find his original racing pamphlett from Chevrolet and his window sticker. He said the sticker price on his 69 Z28 was $3080. I'll let you know what I find out.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think he may have been around (too much) in the late '60's. I think he may have lost track of time and is talking about a 1989 1LE option? No such animals in the '60's or '70's. I love it how the stories get better as these cars get older.

Rick
'66 Yenko
'68 SS 427

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a copy of a dealer invoice and bill of sale from a 69 Z-28 that my buddy currently owns. Retail on the car was $ 4377.60 and dealer cost in 69 was $3550.40. Either this guys car was a stripped race car and he paid cost,or his memory is going away?
If anyone wants some cool info on retail and dealer cost of options in 69 let me know.The bill of sale even shows the original owner traded a 64 Impala SS 327 4-speed and paid $3000 difference for the Z-28. Cary
--------------
69 Z-28 R/S Daytona Yellow

------------------

·
Registered
94 Posts
I talked to my buddy just in case he had a problem with me sending copies of his docs and he said no problem as long as I blocked out few digits of the serial number for his personal reasons? Let me know if you see anything wrong with them,he would like to know about it.
I'll e-mail copies out tonight,I'm not very good with my scanner so we'll give it a try.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's trying to find his window sticker, but he said he ordered the car with the Z28 high performance package, 4 speed, power disc brakes, special ducted hood, special instrumentation, chambered exhaust and HD 4.10 gear ratio. Maybe he got it for dealer cost since he worked at a dealership. I just hope he can find the race prep booklet he said he had.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought I read that chambered exhaust wasnt available after like Nov 68,and the Ducted hood wasnt available till like Jan 69.I dont have my books handy.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The chambered was available until the end of April 69 and the cowl hood became available sometime around November 68 I believe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts