Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what to do with the speedo in my 69.
I want to keep it stock looking ,I do not want to go aftermarket.
I was thinking of the gps to cable drive but for the high price and extra junk to fit and install I think converting the stock speedo would be the way to go.
Has anyone converted theirs over? if so any pict and info?
Does anyone convert them for a decent price?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Anyone convert stock speedometers to electronic?

I am surpriseed with all the aftermarket conversion parts that no one sells a retro fit speedometer yet.

·
14,452 Posts
There is accompany in Utah that will do an electronic gauge that will perfectly match OEM. Pretty good prices too

Call Speed Hut

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called them, they will not convert mt stock speedometer to electronic but sell me a new gauge that looks like a 69 style.
anyone can tell its not a 69 camaro gauge a mile away.
I think the only option is to go to the junkyard and find a newer gm car with the same style gauge and try to swap the drive over,I do not know much about it but there are not any other choces.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Redline sounds best but at $350.00 still alot right now to tell my speed.
They can convert the stock speedo over to electronic and re- do the face to stock even with a speed # change..say 160? and it will only take a week.
It sounds much better than spending $350 on a box to have a cable drive the speedo, that another thing to find room for, run lines, mount..etc and hope its correct.
If I can afford it I will go with redline.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
keep the old one and use your iPhone with GPS to tell the speed your going

Ok pretty impractical I know....

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Come to think of it maybe that is what you need, another speedo that you can hide away

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha..I do not have a I phone, the speed does work on my gps but would not want it hanging in my windsheild all the time telling me to turn around.
I will be sending the speedo to redline. I talked to them and if I keep the 120 speedo its $250.00 not bad but I need to find a new gauge cluster first to send with the speedo..mines split in 2 and new is too expencive since Im spending $250. on the speedo.
Anyone have a good Instrument cluster they want to sell cheap?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Redline conversion is the only way to go. The cable conversions do not work well. I've seen multiple cable setups and none of them work well. The price may seem steep but you will only cry once.
+1 for Redline. I sent my '68 speedo (actually they needed the whole "pod") to Redline and they converted it over with Autometer "guts". Also had them do the oil pressure gauge and then bought a AWW battery (vs. Amp) gauge.... Factory gauges but all electronic! :hurray:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went with redline, they did a great job, I wish I had them do the tach too as it became a 4 month problem that ended up costing $400.00 to get working.
The only issue was shipping, it was more expensive than the parts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used Redline on my first 69 Camaro and just got a set for my current 69 Camaro project. Here is a video of it for anyone who is curious. Just fast forward to the gauge part

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had a company build me a speedo and it looks almost exactly like my stock 67. I will try and dig it up. Cheaper than $300

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
I don't see how the redline option would be much pricier than a cable-x or the new dakota cable setup. the redline option is also cleanest install. I almost did that until I went with a full set of speedhuts instead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts