Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a first gen Body Jig they are done using? I am at that point where it would be really helpful and before I start welding in the floor and frame rails I thought I would check with the group here in the body shop. I was originally going to build one from the great plans here but didn't want to start from scratch.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Its easy to build one. If I can do it anyone can. lol

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I bought a square from lowes and did it myself in my garage. Granted the garage floor is sloped to the door, but after shimming it and squaring corners I was good to go. This is vital to everything else built off of your base. Here is a picture of mine. I also used some 1x1 square tubing to make smaller fixtures to do the frame pins, firewall to rear frame rails and rear frame rails to each other. This helped immensely to square up when firewall will be replaced to match up when subframe will be installed.
As you can see I didn't make a mini fixture for the front pins. Just measured them out. My cross dimension was 76" or so. Mini fixture for firewall to frame rail pins is parallel to datum line as you can see by how I welded that up. Hope it helps some. It's really not too hard to do. The plans here in the forums is extremely helpful. I did do some other mods to my cart. Like adding supports to rockers to support the body in front when I had removed the firewall. Also added rear frame rail supports to where the rear leaf spring eyes are located. It's extremely stable and I can remove any part I wanted with risking and misalignment.

Scot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts