Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my car the night before to a local cruise. I had both of my young daughters with me ages 3 & 6. I get home park the car in the garage. When I come home from work the next day and look at my car,I find one of my front tires had exploded. :eek: There is a 6"gash in the sidewall and the belts are all hanging out. :mad: I've seen tires blow before but never while sitting in the garage. I'm glad that didn't happen while driving especially with the kids in the car. Have any of you guys ever seen or heard of this before. I'm curious as to what caused it. The tires have fair tread on them still and there is no sign of dry rot.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
it happens sometimes. could be "just one of those things".
is it possible you hot something on the way into your garage that you didn't notice when you got out?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Check your brakes! You may have a dragging shoe or pad causing heat to build up. It's possible the tire blew because of a defect or age (how old are the tires) Many of us won't replace aging tires because they have lots of tread left. I have a 92 Corvette with original tires on it and only 24,000 miles. I hate to spend nearly 1800.00 for tires, but I don't want a blowout either. I would definately look at brake drag as a source of heat and possibly your blowout.
Jim

·
Registered
771 Posts
i saw that once in 1985. i will not forget it.
i was 15, and my uncle pulled over 'cause he thought he had a flat. the tire was not flat but it was making a high pitched whistling noise.

being a dumb kid, i leaned down to get a close look. my uncle grabbed me by the collar and yanked me back just as the tire exploded. probably saved me a trip to the hospital and possibly my vision, if not my life.

there were belts hanging out, and a big gash in the tire. i dont remember the condition of the tread, but i'm sure it probably wasn't real good. anyway, it was due to the age of the tire, and the heatbuildup of highway driving over an extended period.

i agree with jim. check the brakes for drag, and buy 4 new tires.

glad to hear you and your daughters are ok, and you were not driving when it happened.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I hope they weren't Firestone tires!
Seriously, I'm glad it happenened in the garage instead on the road, I take my kides in my car all the time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys... I'll check and make sure I dont have a brake shoe dragging. It just seems strange that it happened the next day while sitting in the garage. My wife herd the explosion in the house late in the afternoon. Anyway I'll be buying some new front tires. I've been wanting to get a set of front runners to match the ET streets on the back. That means new wheels too :D

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Is there a hole in your garage wall or doors. (drive by)?
:D
-dnult

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by dnult:
Is there a hole in your garage wall or doors. (drive by)?
:D
-dnult
hahahahahaha........only in Texas!

b :D :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
My buddies van was in the driveway with a branch touching it from a neighbors tree. Lightening hit the tree, when through the branch to the truck and blew both rear tires and blistered his concrete driveway. Since you were in the garage I'm sure this is not the case, but it's a good tire story anyway.
Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts