Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you repainted the black fins and lettering on a set of rally wheel derby caps?

Just wondering how big of a job it is to mask all that off and paint.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I did it. I just sprayed them with krylon 1613 semi flat, and before the paint dried I took a cloth dipped in paint thinner and carefully ran it down the length of each chrome rib. The paint won't stick to the chrome. Took all of about 5 minutes and turned out well. I didn't do the lettering, but If I did I would probably spray some paint in the cap that came off of the can, and do each letter individually using the end of of a paper match (not the end that burns!) as a brush. Then just wipe of the excess.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm looking to buy a set of caps and see alot of them that need painted so I was wondering how tough it will be.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Right, but a lot of the used caps that need the black repainted have additional issues with the CHROME, which is not as easily fixed. Charlie 69 RS

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I did it. I just sprayed them with krylon 1613 semi flat, and before the paint dried I took a cloth dipped in paint thinner and carefully ran it down the length of each chrome rib. The paint won't stick to the chrome. Took all of about 5 minutes and turned out well. I didn't do the lettering, but If I did I would probably spray some paint in the cap that came off of the can, and do each letter individually using the end of of a paper match (not the end that burns!) as a brush. Then just wipe of the excess.
Al, is that how you did the headlamp bezels I bought?

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
ck_2, yes, I was referring to chrome that has pitting and in some cases, is dented & chipped. Usually, when the black paint within the protection of the fins needs repainting, you will find that the chrome needs attention as well. If you are powder coating your wheels, then I would recommend getting a new set of caps ($269 plus shipping on eBay) unless it is a concourse restoration you are after. If you are just going for a driver, then repainting the black within the fins is good, but you may find that the chrome just doesn't measure up. Charlie 69 RS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts