Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever try a prom chip? like an aftermarket one? bolts right in to your comp. supposed to change timing curve and wide open throttle and shifting. boasts 20 more horsepower. not a resistor chip! anyways they are 100 bucks on ebay-thinking of getting one......they are listed for tbi engines. mines a 305tbi 1989. ive already got an accel perfmance ignition,hi flow cat and flowmasters-so whats next? car is strong and fast but i want more!!!!!! it will burn 1st and second easy and its an automatic! i dont know the 305 wasnt all i thought it would be for a v-8,if anyone out there has this same motor please mssg me so we can talk-im curious about the performance and pros and cons of these motors and wanna talk to somebody who has one. thanks guys:thumbsup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
i know hypertech makes a chip for third gens...the only people who said they experienced gains were 4bbl 305s. i would do headers and y pipe..should add something around 20 horse, k&N filter open air element, somethin cheap you could add a few horse would be a low temp thermostat wich starts to open at 160 and is all the way open at 176, which is like 20-30 degrees cooler than the factory. and you can get a low temp fan switch that automatically turns the fan on at 176 degrees and off when ur engine drops to 160...these are small budget things but these 305 engine are notorious for running hot. and i dont suppose you have alot of money heads etc.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
I have played with 3rd gens for quite a while. If you plan on keeping the TPI set-up, count on a maximum increase of 30 HP no matter what you do (excluding SC, Turbo and nitrous). They are very reliable and torquey but the tuned port and cylinder heads restrict airflow.

The best thing I can recommend to anyone running a stock LB9 or L98 bottom end is to find yourself a set of aluminium vortec heads from a 5.3 litre truck engine. They are relatively easy to find these days. Bolt them on along with an FAST intake set-up and you will get 50 horsepower while keeping everything else stock.

People usually take the wrong approach to these 3rd gens by nickle and dime-ing there way to increased HP. After spending 5k, they soon end up throwing it all out because they are barely in the 13's.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yes, I put one (hypertech) in my 91 350 TBI 5spd silverado. You could tell a difference, especially if you use the WRONG regular gas! Valves rattle bad. Must use premium. I took mine out because of gas prices. I would recommend a tbi spacer, underdrive pulleys, k&n and an injector spacer.
I'm a member here: http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/forums.asp Good info on chevy trucks!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
you may have to use premium on your truck but you don't need to on his car..if you put premium in a 305 it will ping
I think you have that backwards. Lower octane fuel detonates at a lower compression ratio than "race" gas therefore "pings" easier. If you put a higher octane rated gasoline (premium) in an engine it would be less likely to pre-ignite than with regular.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts