Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired
26,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not looking to start anything but would like to know... I'm catching flack on a fb group because I feel even 2 years ago $34k was too little for how it's represented. Several are of the opinion someone scored and stole the car. My point is the way auctions go nobody really gets lucky if there was value in the car it would have been bid higher. Maybe I'm wrong but there is no VIN shown, no trim tag shown although it says the car is an X77, has a DZ 302 and a 4 speed. Well take a look. It's my experience that if the shill bidders are not running the car up and there are not other bidders willing to spend more for it then buyer beware!

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
In my experience discussions of that sort on Facebook are a complete waste of time and an exercise in futility.

Don

·
Retired
26,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I understand it the car was in a private collection that all but got abandoned. Nothing was started much less driven for years. I cant log onto Mecum to see if there was other info. It was a no reserve auction if that matters. The steering wheel and under hood discrepancy's (add the air cleaner too) says a lot but a collector who just buys cars and parks them probably doesn't care, the notch in the belt is the moniker and total car count not the correctness. Again, not trying to pick the car apart and 1st gen is cool. I just was hoping someone here knew the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Besides what has been mentioned, Its not hard to see why this car didn't bring more. Just with the few pictures there are , its easy to see a magnitude of issues like: black grill, gray H/L bezels with no chrome trim, P/L lens with no stainless trim, wrong rear bumper guards, wrong horns, air cleaner, Hei dist., alt brkt, carb., shifter, no washer nozzles, wrong antenna with a homemade radio delete plate. dash drilled for broken wiper switch. many paint errors. These are the easy ones, what about all the ones you don't see. Car doesn't present itself well.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I remember seeing that car on eBay a while back. Driver quality car. As mentioned many many things turning serious buyers away. The black grille thing I personally think is up for debate. I know several real Z/28's that have had black grilles ever since I can remember. Early 70's is as far back as I can remember seeing them. Even my car had one. I know what the CRG says, but I don't think that rule was set in stone. Just my opinion.

·
15,091 Posts
I painted the grill black on my 69 Camaro Z 28 in 1970 because I thought Black looked better than the silver I rattle canned it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can say from first hand experience from attending, bidding, and I drive cars over the block for Mecum at auctions. Cars represented in ads with pictures, not only auctions, are not always what they appear. I believe the thought that if there was more value in a car it would have bidded higher, it's not like the people bidding couldn't afford more so they stopped.

I have seen some deals but I have also sat in the audience at an auction, watched a car cross the block and said "Wow, that was deal!" then found the car later and looked it over only to find why it went cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,523 Posts
Besides what has been mentioned, Its not hard to see why this car didn't bring more. Just with the few pictures there are , its easy to see a magnitude of issues like: black grill, gray H/L bezels with no chrome trim, P/L lens with no stainless trim, wrong rear bumper guards, wrong horns, air cleaner, Hei dist., alt brkt, carb., shifter, no washer nozzles, wrong antenna with a homemade radio delete plate. dash drilled for broken wiper switch. many paint errors. These are the easy ones, what about all the ones you don't see. Car doesn't present itself well.
This car is an X77 code. It has all of the X33 trim EXCEPT those headlight rings! AFAIK the Stainless trim on the Parking lights never happened or was discontinued early in the model year. Not too hard to see why it brought the bid it did IMO.

Jeff

·
Retired
26,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments, I think it is clear the car isn't the gem someone stole at auction as the original story was told.

·
Premium Member
6,653 Posts
Alot of wrong components under the hood to start.

The headrests are straight, so its an early car. Maybe too early to have an X coded tag?
Many other things mentioned above make it very questionable.

I have never seen a documented original assembly line standard black grille z28 ever.
This car doesnt even have the grille surround painted body color.3 tires match and the drivers side is black wall.
Looks like it was slapped together for the sale and the results confirm that.

Reactions: yellow69RS and DjD

·
20,362 Posts
Auctions can be funny (as in weird) It only takes a few whispers to get around about an issue/s (true or not) about a car/truck to turn buyers away.
Now IF there were/are any issues (some pointed out) might be all that was needed to turn "big money" away ?

·
15,091 Posts
I go to both mecum and Barrett Jackson auction’s here in Las Vegas

The bottom line is most of the cars look much better on TV then they do in person.

Reactions: X-77 keith

·
Registered
105 Posts
That fuel inlet hose says corner parts store fuel supply if you ask me.Mecum called it a 40-45K car yet it doesn't have that look.So I agree it looks slapped together to get it across the stage but tell them not to open the hood while its up there ;) .
Still a decent buy for 34K though.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I’m in the wrong part of the Country the last few years,
if that had no z/28 emblems and some 18” wheels it would be that or more in Ca.

in all the corners of the State I visit.
A clean driving plain Jane with decent power and shoes is $30k

·
Retired
26,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That fuel inlet hose says corner parts store fuel supply if you ask me.Mecum called it a 40-45K car yet it doesn't have that look.So I agree it looks slapped together to get it across the stage but tell them not to open the hood while its up there ;) .
Still a decent buy for 34K though.
I’m in the wrong part of the Country the last few years,
if that had no z/28 emblems and some 18” wheels it would be that or more in Ca.

in all the corners of the State I visit.
A clean driving plain Jane with decent power and shoes is $30k
But the car is said to be a Z/28 which compared to a clean plane Jane should command a nice premium but didn't. The conversation I had, or debate if you wish was that the buyer was walking away with big equity after paying $34k at auction. I disagree with that and feel it wasn't the big score several others wanted to make it out to be. Online the auction ads didn't give the VIN or Trim Tag info or pictures, Questions in my mind are, Is it a clone? Tag swap? With the vast number of members here that follow some of this I was hoping to learn more about this specific car.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've been to the Mecum Auctions and at the same time recorded at home. Cars that were 50 footers look great when rolling across the block. Their lighting makes everything look good. My experience at 2 Mecum Auctions was that there are a ton of driver quality cars with a few very nice cars. Also confirming if it brought a low price there is a reason.

·
15,091 Posts
I’ve been to many Mecum and BJ auctions.

many time see cars sell for more than they are worth via internet or phone bidders.

rarely see one sell for way less than worth especially when the 10% buyer fee is added.

Reactions: DjD
1 - 19 of 19 Posts