Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
69' Camaro, 67' Chevelle
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radio recently broke in my 69 and rather then fix it I would like to add a modern radio anyways...Bluetooth, USB, the whole nine.

although my car is not original, it was restored to look original...so I would like to keep that radio in there and just use the wiring from it. I was wondering if any of you have put modern radios in and hid them somewhere inconspicuous or out of the way....if so, any pictures?

I was thinking of using the glovebox or under the dash somewhere.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There are amplifiers out there now that you put in the trunk or under the seat and they work with a bluetooth signal from your phone.

If you are wanting a USB input, then it may require some type of controller and this could be hidden somewhere in the car.

On my 68 Chevy II Nova I used what I had laying around and had an old radio that accepted a marine controller that was mounted on a goose neck to where I can at shows stuff this under the seat and no one knows any better. While Pioneer no longer supports the marine controllers, there are some options in the Kenwood line.

I also didn't want to see aftermarket grills on my rear deck nor did I want to cut the metal out on the original metal package shelf openings so I ordered and installed a mesh package shelf cover and then added spacers under the deck to mount the speakers to.

Plenty of options out there to do things.

Some things I did:

Flip down radio in a 53 truck:

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I installed this radio. It has a line out for an amp that I will install in the trunk. It has Bluetooth capabilities and a USB port. It looks like a stock oem radio in the stock location, but I don't have to hide it. It is the Custom Autosound USA-630
Brett....
Electronics Technology Electronic device Vehicle Car
Car Vehicle Classic car
Vehicle Car Gauge Auto part Family car
Vehicle Car Family car
Electronic device Technology Electronics Netbook Laptop

Reactions: akxtreme

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Guys use aftermarket 2 knob radios in the factory space. . . . but it still looks non original like the old days. . . .and they are expensive for what they are they remind me of the cheap 2 knob radios from the 60's, remember the Craig ones? If your wanting the original look it is going to run $4 to $500. Crazy. I have Pioneers in 4 of my cars with all the bells and whistles for a hundred bucks, 2 in the glove box with remotes, 2 in the original space. Mesh package tray to hide the 6x9's and amps in the trunk alone with a coupla subs.

·
16,816 Posts

Looks close enough to OEM with all the modern features.

The problem with in the glovebox is reaching it while you’re driving. You can use a remote but in my experience not easy when you can’t see the display.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
OP

if you want a stock look that fits in the stock location there are "retro" radios that incorporate USB and Bluetooth. How good they are and how much power they put out may be up for debate.

I am not a purist and my car already had a single DIN radio in it but not Bluetooth or USB. I just bought a Pioneer for around $100 200 watts (50 per ch) with 2 x 4" in front center dash and 2 6x9 top mount in package tray. They make perforated package tray covers if you want to undermount them to keep a more stock look if that is your thing

Glove box or trunk mount amps using remotes or your phone Bluetooth streaming so you have options beyond a "retro" radio or 1 or 2 DIN mounter radio but the DIN requires cutting the center panel to install.

Any stereo shop can install any type if you don't want to do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
John, I like that stereo actually better than the one I purchased. I am considering the Daytona w/ Long Beach Motor 4. They have a layover with station frequencies that also has "Camaro" on it - I like it! It has Sub out & 2 USB's.
Brett.....
Technology Electronic device Cable Electronics accessory

·
16,816 Posts
John, I like that stereo actually better than the one I purchased. I am considering the Daytona w/ Long Beach Motor 4. They have a layover with station frequencies that also has "Camaro" on it - I like it! It has Sub out & 2 USB's.
Brett.....
View attachment 264219
They are better then the Custom USA unit. Only thing with the overlays is it makes it a little harder to see the display.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
255 Posts
Installed a Kenwood kac-m1824bt Bluetooth Amplifier - fantastic sound. Music comes from playlists on my iPhone. Only $175 on Amazon. I put an original AM head unit in the dash for appearance. The head-unit for this is very small and tucks in under the glovebox. Did I mention it sounds Great! - lol.

IMHO, I say do not waste your time and money on those reproduction crap radios. Mine was noisy, sh*T sound & looked fake. From my experience, those manufacturers oversell and under-deliver and stick a huge price tag on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My radio recently broke in my 69 and rather then fix it I would like to add a modern radio anyways...Bluetooth, USB, the whole nine.

although my car is not original, it was restored to look original...so I would like to keep that radio in there and just use the wiring from it. I was wondering if any of you have put modern radios in and hid them somewhere inconspicuous or out of the way....if so, any pictures?

I was thinking of using the glovebox or under the dash somewhere.
I used Retrosound from Classic Parts in my 68 it has Bluetooth, usb etc

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Installed a Kenwood kac-m1824bt Bluetooth Amplifier - fantastic sound. Music comes from playlists on my iPhone. Only $175 on Amazon. I put an original AM head unit in the dash for appearance. The head-unit for this is very small and tucks in under the glovebox. Did I mention it sounds Great! - lol.

View attachment 264328

IMHO, I say do not waste your time and money on those reproduction crap radios. Mine was noisy, sh*T sound & looked fake. From my experience, those manufactures oversell and under-deliver and stick a huge price tag on them.
I agree.
I have a retro sound 2 or something. Was their newest when I bought it like 4-5 years ago.
The fit, menu the controls all poor In my opinion, but I needed somthing to fill the hole where the awesome Kraco unit was.
I’ll probably disconnect it and just use a Bluetooth adapter.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,568 Posts
I agree.
I have a retro sound 2 or something. Was their newest when I bought it like 4-5 years ago.
The fit, menu the controls all poor In my opinion, but I needed somthing to fill the hole where the awesome Kraco unit was.
I’ll probably disconnect it and just use a Bluetooth adapter.
Don't be dissin' K-Mart's number one seller back in the day now...! :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Over the past 30+ years I've installed multiple audio systems in my 67 convertible, some worked and some weren't as good. You can hide a remote head unit in the center console by cutting the plastic panel between the center storage and the shifter bezel and using it as a flip up display holder.

I used this space to mount a remote head unit with a multi disc changer in the trunk. I later replace that unit with a XM Commander satellite radio system.

I later replace the center console units with the newer dash models out there for vintage cars. First a couple of Custom Autosound models and now a Retrosound unit that works well for me.

I have 10 speakers hidden throughout the car providing good sound with the top down. I installed the AC dash and mounted 3.5" speakers in the dash vents. I also mounted 3.5" speakers in the rear ashtrays by removing the lids and replacing with steel speaker grill

I mounted two 5 1/4" subs in the trunk, two 3.5" in the dash 6x9 location and two butt shakers under the front seat to provide bass when the top is down. They are driven by a single Infinity 5 channel amp mounted in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I did something a bit different, I took off the radio players "removable face" and used a computer joystick extension cable because it has male and female ends with 12 conductors. I cut it in half and soldered the wiring on the radio face at one end and the player head on the other end. There is enough space in behind the glove box for the player to be hidden, so I made a trap door for access in the back of the glove box with sheet metal, black felt, and piano hinge. I used the console storage compartment to mount the face. These are really crappy phone pic's, but it will give you the idea.......

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Bumper Auto part
Vehicle Car Auto part Trunk Rim
Electronics Trunk Electronic device
Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
12,010 Posts
Well, I had an original AM radio converted with modern guts, but I do not think that is available anymore. When I do my next 69, I will keep the stock radio in place and working. To add an ipod I will just use a 4-channel amp and an RCA to 1/8" male adapter.

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
687 Posts
custom auto sound USA-740. has bluetooth, USB, AUX, all the modern features. running it to two separate amps for sub and 6x9 package tray speakers. sounds really good...looks appropriate

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This is the one I am most likely getting.
It looks original but has modern features.

·
Registered
69' Camaro, 67' Chevelle
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys! Lots of choices here. I know about the retro ones with Bluetooth and everything but IMO why pay $500-600 for that when I can get upgraded speakers, amp, nice radio, etc, and just hide it all for half that price.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts