Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I built my car before Bluetooth was a mainstream thing, but if I was to do it again I would just hide a Bluetooth amp. Also my player wouldn't fit if ever wanted Vintage Air. That Antique Automobile Reproduction stuff looks great too.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
That is a great reproduction instead of the Kraco looking Autosound. Unless you are wanting the all original look it is a bit pricy. Cutting to fit a 1 din hi tech unit for a $100 bucks is a great alternative and higher quality usually than the 2 shaft radios. . . . .too bad they don't look original. The one your looking at looks great and original. Check with Ausley Chevelle for a much better price on the unit. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The challenge when hiding is how are you controlling without a hassle?
I'm thinking of leaving the stock looking retro sound mounted and disconnected,

and maybe going with something like this, maybe in the center console.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I'm thinking of leaving the stock looking retro sound mounted and disconnected,

and maybe going with something like this, maybe in the center console.
Or mount in place of the cigarette lighter?
This could be a nice add on to upgrade my system, Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
18 years ago I wanted an AM/FM. My objectives were for it to be hidden, not affect the look of the factory AM PB in the dash, and not fill up the glove box. I mounted a Secret Audio box in the vacant area above the glove box under the upper dash. I used a generous amount of heavy duty Velcro with a piece of pipe strap for redundancy. The Velcro has never failed to hold it so far.

The controls and display are small and easily accessible laying in the console compartment with ample room for all the other stuff I keep in the console.

Not wanting to cut holes for a proper speaker system, I only changed the old dried-out factory dash mono speaker to a stereo dual cones. I don't get true stereo with separation or high quality sound with the speakers but with the 400HO running and the top down great quality audio would be wasted anyway. The FM gets me some 60s-70s classic rock the original AM could not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Installed a Kenwood kac-m1824bt Bluetooth Amplifier - fantastic sound. Music comes from playlists on my iPhone. Only $175 on Amazon. I put an original AM head unit in the dash for appearance. The head-unit for this is very small and tucks in under the glovebox. Did I mention it sounds Great! - lol.

View attachment 264328

IMHO, I say do not waste your time and money on those reproduction crap radios. Mine was noisy, sh*T sound & looked fake. From my experience, those manufacturers oversell and under-deliver and stick a huge price tag on them.
Bumping an older thread here; that looks pretty slick. How does the control panel work? Is it wired?

Also, I see that this one (and other typicals) are only four channel. How would this work if I have five total speakers (front kick panels, rears and the center dash speaker)?

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Speedometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Automotive design

Speakers in the kick panels and under rear shelf with mesh cover and 2 subs and 2200w in the trunk on the back shelf, The head unit has a remote and a CD player as I have 300 CD's when I was a consultant for CD Warehouse. I have another with the unit in the glove box and remote, keep it open when driving to see it.Sound is great and the whole system was $600

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
256 Posts
Bumping an older thread here; that looks pretty slick. How does the control panel work? Is it wired?

Also, I see that this one (and other typicals) are only four channel. How would this work if I have five total speakers (front kick panels, rears and the center dash speaker)?
The control panel has a long cord connecting it.

You would not use a center speaker with the stereo install - two in the rear shelf and the kick panels is what you'd want.

·
Registered
989 Posts
FM converter would work, but you are stuck with dash speaker or put a single speaker in back (selectable from F to R). Still will be mono sound. Plus FM stations going the way AM did in the late 80s. Good stations are fewer and far in between. Need stereo sound for streaming service or your own mp3 sub drive. So might as well set up for it..

·
Registered
17 Posts
FM converter was a little humor. My car is waiting on builder and parts for restomod, we backed it out of the garage this summer, (my kids have never had much interest in it), my teenage daughter was interested in the radio, and yes I still have a working FM converter. To her it was like looking at a dial telephone.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have a FM converter in my bins waiting to test it on a good Corvair AM radio. Don't want a complete new radio in it. Dash has same issues as the Camaro, slanted and would have to be cut up to fit modern radio. For other music at home or in 66 Corvair Coupe, I have a JBL Estreme weather resistant bluetooth speker and my phone or MP3 player. It will work for my needs in the Corvair.

My Camaro will get a modern display radio under the dash .

Double Din Car Stereo Radio Audio Receiver Compatible with Apple Carplay, Android Auto, Mirror Link, 7 Inch Full Touchscreen Car Stereo, Backup Camera, Bluetooth, USB/TF/AUX Port, A/V Input, FM/AM

Product Communication Device Gadget Gesture Font

·
Registered
989 Posts
Any Bluetooth capable item (phone, MP3 player, etc) on its own can be used up to 30 feet. My opinion: that unit does nothing to extend the range of the phone's internal Bluetooth capability. As long your phone is in car, you don't need any "so called" bluetooth amplifier. Save your money.

·
12,010 Posts
USMC93, These are all interesting solutions!

But the real question is, what music are you listening to in what format?

If its just FM stations, then you need a radio somewhere. Same for CDs :)

IPOD: they can plug into Amps

Phone: get a amp with Blue Tooth, you don't need a radio.

AM: fix the original radio ( I have a guy :))

Once you decide on a music strategy, then you can pick components. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
This is the JBL Xtreme I use as my bluetooth capable speaker. Lots of good sound, volume in a small package. Use it when my Corvair More Door is at weekend functions and around home/yard/garages or on road with RV.

Camera accessory Gadget Cameras & optics Font Fashion accessory

21 - 40 of 43 Posts