Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of removing my antenna mast when I put my 69 up on the lift or put the car cover on it. Currently antenna is located in the passenger fender and I'm not interested in relocating it so I'm looking for a power antenna small enough to fit that location and came across the Retro Antenna PA02 which is available from a number of vendors for what I'd call a reasonable price. It looks to me with the motor being separate from the mast like it could work, but I wanted to check and see if anyone else has tried it and if so, how did it work out?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
While it's come up in conversation before, I believe there will be interference from the cowl side. I made a drawing that with an area cutout of the side of the cowl, new sheet metal could be put into this area creating a notch and allow room for the power antenna. This notch may have to be located differently depending on where the top of the antenna protrudes out of the top of the fender.

While this is off of memory, I think Jay Leno did something like this on a Riviera he had ?.

Jim

·
Registered
572 Posts
What about mounting in the rear? That shouldn't be a problem, I have no ant. now and I am looking to put one in.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I wrote in my original post, I've already got an antenna in the fender so I'm not interest in moving it to the rear at this time (if it was getting ready for or in need of paint that would be the time to move it). With 34" of cable between the bottom of the antenna mast and the drive motor, my hope was that the motor could be located either in the engine compartment or on top of the wheel well and that the antenna mast would fit between the fender and the cowl without modification. Time to do some accurate measuring seeing as no one has come forth (yet) telling of success using this item. I will report back with what I find out after measuring.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I found two reviews on this power antenna, both positive with one of them being and installation in a 1991 Camaro https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rQ2E8a9lgoV/p_068PA02/RetroSound-PA-02-Power-Antenna.html

Found a quick video of this item by Retro Sound here -

I took a quick measurement and came up with approximately 16" of usable depth below the top of the fender where the existing antenna hole is, the specifications diagram indicates at least 13.5" is needed with the drive cable so that leaves 2.5" of free space, tight but possible depending on how sharp of a bend can be made with the drive cable. It also looks to me like the mast will fit in the original fender antenna hole between the cowl and the fender with enough room for the antenna cable and drive cable to go through the original holes to get under the dash assuming the intent would be to mount the drive motor under the dash. When I get a chance I'm going to check and see if the drive cable is long enough to mount the drive motor on top of the passenger fender well instead. Not quite ready to pull the trigger on this yet but getting closer...

·
Premium Member
12,507 Posts
It is a rear trunk mount for a first gen as are all the remote mast units or power mast, just no room in the front fender for one.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,710 Posts
Yeah I wonder how feasible it would be to mount the motor inside the car (like under the dash) like Scott suggested.

·
16,033 Posts
Yeah I wonder how feasible it would be to mount the motor inside the car (like under the dash) like Scott suggested.
I mount rubber antennas behind the dash above the glove box. I don't put antenna holes in my fenders. They work pretty good but who listens to broadcast radio anyway?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if I didn't already have an antenna hole in the fender a hidden antenna under the dash or remote in the rear quarter would be an option, but those are out until it's time for paint some day way down the road as the paint right now is more than fine for a nice driver.

I did call and speak with a tech at Retro Sound and explained what I was hoping to do and asked him how tight of a radius the drive cable for that antenna could be put into before it effected proper operation of the antenna. The answer was between 3" to 3.5" which is pretty tight. The drive cable is long enough to make it into the cabin to mount the motor under the dash so that shouldn't be an issue. I'd rather have the drive motor inside the cabin and out of the weather as it should live a longer life that way.

What I need to do next when I get a few minutes is remove the existing FM antenna base from the fender and make sure a 3/4" diameter mast would indeed fit down the hole without any issues, I'll admit it looks like it will be very close. If it will fit, the drivers door would probably need to be removed to perform the installation. If the 3/4" mast fitment trial works out, then I'll be ordering one to give it a try. I'll update this thread once I know one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
The way I interpreted that drawing is that the mast is 11 1/4" long, and the cable bend will take another 2 1/4" bringing the overall length below the fender to 13 1/2". If that's the case, you should have room.

I'd give them a call and ask. Seems like a cool project, especially if people are telling you it can't be done!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Looking at the drawing of the part with the cable in a "U" shape or the motor in a horizontal position, these would probably be the worst way of having the motor/gear box mounted if the motor/gear box does indeed have a drain opening nipple on it.

You can see in the drawings what looks like a drain hose nipple on the motor/gear box like what most power antenna's had years ago and this nipple would allow a flexible rubber or soft plastic hose to be pushed onto it and whatever water would collect in the assembly would allow it to drain out and not corrode or have the assembly prematurely fail.

If the hose included in some of the older power antenna kits was not long enough to get to an area for the water to exit out of the car, a longer section of hose could be purchased and used.

In a modified drawing below, the right side assembly would be how I would mount the motor/gear box assembly.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,802 Posts
Looking at the drawing of the part with the cable in a "U" shape or the motor in a horizontal position, these would probably be the worst way of having the motor/gear box mounted if the motor/gear box does indeed have a drain opening nipple on it.

You can see in the drawings what looks like a drain hose nipple on the motor/gear box like what most power antenna's had years ago and this nipple would allow a flexible rubber or soft plastic hose to be pushed onto it and whatever water would collect in the assembly would allow it to drain out and not corrode or have the assembly prematurely fail.

Jim
You could always just drill and tap a new hole for the nipple if that was a concern.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well how many of us take our classic cars that we care about out in the rain which is what that drain nipple/hole is for. Mounting the drive motor in the engine bay under heater core panel would allow the nipple to be oriented in the best position and it would still be fairly well protected from the elements, but again how many of us take our classic cars that we care about out in the rain?

I keep a waterproof cover like this; in my trunk so just in case I get caught an extremely heavy rain, I have a quick solution. For light rain I just drive her home, pull in the garage, and wipe her down.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You could always just drill and tap a new hole for the nipple if that was a concern.
Yep, just like drilling out a block for an oil sender to get it where it's needed. Just about anything can be done given enough thought, planning, and doing it properly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm tired of removing my antenna mast when I put my 69 up on the lift or put the car cover on it. Currently antenna is located in the passenger fender and I'm not interested in relocating it so I'm looking for a power antenna small enough to fit that location and came across the Retro Antenna PA02 which is available from a number of vendors for what I'd call a reasonable price. It looks to me with the motor being separate from the mast like it could work, but I wanted to check and see if anyone else has tried it and if so, how did it work out?
IT WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT MODIFYING YOUR COWL. I talked to Retro Sound about this antenna and they literally told me they had never tried to install one in a first gen even though that's how they market it!! Retro said they were going to change the advertisement for it to read that the car will need modification, not sure if that ever happened. Anyway, I placed a black cap over the mast hole and forgot about it. nobody notices it they are too busy looking at the rest of the car! then installed a hidden antenna under the dash.:wink2:
Here's my thread on it
http://www.camaros.net/forums/12-body-shop/367369-retrosound-power-antenna-69-camaro.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts