Team Camaro Tech banner

anyone taken a 454 and made it look 396?

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Skeeter55 
#1 ·
Have anyone of you taken a 454 and made it look like an old school 396?
Pictures?
any major changes to do other than valve covers?

#2 ·
If you want to make your car look "slow" put painted valve covers on it. Most people have either chrome or aluminum ones, but I like the orange colored drippers as a no-nonsense approach. Factory pulleys and brackets, too. It fits in the category of "speak softly and carry a big stick."

#4 ·
a 454 already looks exactly like a 396 except for the harmonic balancer- and you gotta know what to look for and look really close to see that. just put all the 396 accessories on it and call it a 396 if anyone asks what it is.

#8 ·
ditto what novaderrik said.....

#11 ·
I did basically the same as Skip for a friend's '69 SS 396 Chevelle. I used a .030 over 454 which makes 461 cubes. I used the same stock type chrome valve covers and with some double thick gaskets managed to fit a set of roller rocker arms underneath. From the outside it looks like a 375 hp 396. It also has a roller hydraulic cam which sounds a lot like the old solid lifter cam. Unless you start looking closely at the numbers nobody knows the difference.
Skip's Turbo Jet 425 HP sticker is a dead giveaway.;)

#12 ·
Yeah its been about a year now with that sticker and your the second guy that figured it out :thumbsup:. I do it for fun just to screw with people :yes:, you guys know how it is when they say (Nice Mustang). What should i put on there after i build my 496...

#16 · (Edited)
The Old Performer 2 will accept either a Spread Bore or Square Barrel Carb. They are great with a 7.5 to 9.5 Static Compression and a Holley Square Barrel Dp with a Torker Cam such as the Crane 266H 10; and I mean torque "Personified". Short shifting at 5000rpm you will be lucky to get it in by 5500rpm. With Headers and a Holley 750Dp your looking at 425Hp and 500ftpds of torque in a Large Oval Port BBC. A hint of LS6 material but not quit there. With a M21 and 4.10's you will exhaust 4th in the 1/4 mile with a top speed of 119 mph; however, that combo will propel 3.08's to 160 mph in 4th shifting the 1/4 out of 3rd at 122 mph.

NOTE: No Intake, Carb or Cam Change except rear ratio - Been there; Done it ;o)

I would say a Performer 2 with Holley and Headers with a crane 266H 10 on a low compression BBC is probably the BEST Bang for the buck.

#20 ·
The Old Performer 2 will accept either a Spread Bore or Square Barrel Carb. They are great with a 7.5 to 9.5 Static Compression and a Holley Square Barrel Dp with a Torker Cam such as the Crane 266H 10; and I mean torque "Personified". Short shifting at 5000rpm you will be lucky to get it in by 5500rpm. With Headers and a Holley 750Dp your looking at 425Hp and 500ftpds of torque in a Large Oval Port BBC. A hint of LS6 material but not quit there. With a M21 and 4.10's you will exhaust 4th in the 1/4 mile with a top speed of 119 mph; however, that combo will propel 3.08's to 160 mph in 4th shifting the 1/4 out of 3rd at 122 mph.

NOTE: No Intake, Carb or Cam Change except rear ratio - Been there; Done it ;o)

I would say a Performer 2 with Holley and Headers with a crane 266H 10 on a low compression BBC is probably the BEST Bang for the buck.
Hey Ron: Long time no hear..... I'm going to pull this motor out in a couple of weeks to get a good look at what exactly the combo in it really is... I'm 99% going to build a 496 stroker and i know the builder will give me a couple different combos, but is that 2.0 intake any good for a 496 and whats a good Comp Cam Hydraulic Roller that wont get swallowed up with the 496. I want a big cam and possibly bigger then what i currently have with my 427 comp cam 280s.... Thanks hope i can get close to 600HP with BBC Oval Port heads and run pump gas.

#17 · (Edited)
That's good to hear...

Skeeter, our engine compartments look kind of similar, other than the '68/'69 differences, except yours is much cleaner (and looks MUCH better), and I chose a 427 decal to go on my 454 block with 396/427 guts.

(Can't wait to drive this thing!)

#21 ·
That's good to hear...

Skeeter, our engine compartments look kind of similar, other than the '68/'69 differences, except yours is much cleaner (and looks MUCH better), and I chose a 427 decal to go on my 454 block with 396/427 guts.

(Can't wait to drive this thing!)
Looks sweet :thumbsup:... Im a big fan on the sleeper look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.