Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here tryed bowtie overdrives? they have 700 and 200 r4s for a good price, just wanted to make sure thay weren't a dud. any other suggestions for a company that makes a stout overdrive that doesnt require a suitcase full of cash, 5 pints of blood, and a left testicle? thanks for the input, i appriciate the help.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Don't know if this will help answer your question, but.....
I have talked to these guys at several GoodGuys shows. THey seem to be very knowledgeble and helpful. They have all the parts and pices to make the installation easy.
They say their trannys will hold up to around 450-500 hp.
I went to the November show with the intention of picking one up for my 69 396. I got to the booth at 9 am. They had brought 55 (fifty-five!) trannys to the show and they were sold out at 9AM!
Needless to say I didn't get one.

They do sell a bunch of these things!

Hope this helped a bit.

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
Steve and the crew at Bowtie Overdrives are very helpful. Check out their site www.700r4.com I highly recomend their TV bracket assembly. Steve backs his stuff but is insistant that you follow his directions to a tee. If you do they'll back you all the way.

Hey Joe - If you order over the phone they'll deliver at the next Goodguys and you don't have to get there early... also you have a great resource in Sac. I think Bruce is his name. Send onemorecamaro (John) an email he'll know how to get in touch with him...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 12-16-2001).]

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a 700r4 I bought from them almost two years ago, there were some issues, but it had more to do with personality issues than product. What are you trying to convert from and what kind of power are you going to make? Personally, I wish I had gone with the 2004r since it would have bolted right in place of my PG, and the gearing is spaced better IMO. I don't have a huge motor or anything, so that wasn't an issue to me.

So far, I've had no problems with the stuff I bought from Bowtie, and I bought everything there!

Feel free to email me if you want more info.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not sure how much power i will be making, im not even sure what im goung to put the tranny in. i have been trying to sell my firebird (with no luck) and if i do i think i have my eye on an el camino or a monte carlo. here is about what will be going into the motor(350)hot roller cam, vortech heads, roller rockers and the comp will be around 9.5:1 thats about it

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I've had mine a little over a year and it's still working fine. I do however agree with Bill C. I had some issues with mine as well and they were resolved, they really know their stuff. But Mr. Personality can get you right on the edge. All in all I'd say go for it.

------------------
Robert Johnson

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
350ci 700r4 3.55 posi

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I actually bought m 700r4 from TPI since I priced bowtie overdrives, and after you add on all the add-ons they were almost the highest in price !! Check out all those add on prices !!

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bruce at Performance Transmissions in Sacramento, CA is well worth a look. He is far and away the the best tranny guy I have met and is a guru on 2004R's. JoeG you might want to look into a 2004R as they will take significantly more HP than a 700R4. You can contact him through his website at; www.ptsnctb.com

John

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Everyone seems to say check out the 2004-r because its a bolt in. I purchased my 700r-4 from TPI at http://www.tpiperformance.com/
where they sell both. They basically laughed when I asked them about putting a 2004-r in a camaro. Like they say at www.700r4.com - test drive a new corvette or camaro and what do they have ? An electronic shift version of the 700r-4 the 4L60E. I am not a trans. guru so I won't say any more on performance issues. I paid $75 to have my driveshaft shortened, rebalanced, and new u-joints. Big deal.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've talked with Bruce at Performance Transmissions a few times. His 200R with the billet steel drums is definitely stronger than the 700R. He does know his stuff. Plus the 200R has about the same ratios as a TH350 or 400. Not the big drop between 1st and 2nd.

Costs a bit more than the 700R but it is as bulletproof as my TH400.

Looks like this will be NEXT winter's project. Running out of time and money this year!

joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts