Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Re: Anyone try, or are currently using, one of those Tornado ...........

I saw a study on it. It may have been Consumer Reports or even Mythbusters. :) In essence, it was useless as they found no benefit. DeAngelo

·
Registered
130 Posts

I would have to agree with everyone else. I have one in my 2006 Yukon since it was new and I'm only getting between 14.5 & 15.5 miles per gallon. I even upgraded my air filter to a K&N. IMO it's not worth it. I'll sell you mine.

·
Registered
702 Posts

About as much performance as a bolt on 12 bolt cover for your rear end LOL!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

since this isn't performance in any way................ :D
LOL ! Sounds like these 'tornados' are so crappy that this thread should have just been deleted instead of moved ! :clonk::D

:eek:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,548 Posts

LOL ! Sounds like these 'tornados' are so crappy that this thread should have just been deleted instead of moved ! :clonk::D

:eek:

I thought of that, but that would have been rude! :D There's nothing wrong with asking a question, hopefully you'll listen to everybody on this particular subject. ;)

·
Retired
16,027 Posts

Ive also got some swamp land in Florida to sell cheap :)

·
Banned
21,341 Posts

Guy,

The EPA has a site in it that tests things that claim to increase gas mileage as they can get their hands on every year and I don't think they've found anything that will YET!!

pdq67

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts

Donate the money to the Red Cross , you will get more satisfaction. :)

Kev

·
Registered
832 Posts

I tried a TPI spacer on my Dodge Dakota that claimed increased power and milage. A total waste of $90. It was about impressive gain as the flowmaster and airfilter up grade. Nothing! Will I ever learn.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro
264 Posts

What about the magnet that ataches to the gas line? LOL

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts

What about the magnet that ataches to the gas line? LOL
The clothes pins are more effective.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Donate the money to the Red Cross , you will get more satisfaction. :)

Kev
Oh, i hadn't planned on spending a dime on this contraption if it turned out to be any kind of real performance upgrade. I'm the Purchasing Manager at a precision sheet metal shop. We could make this kind of thing very easily ;)

I had my suspicions about the so called performance gains, and in theory it does kinda sound plausible, but i thought I'd ask here to see what everyone else thought.

Thanks for the laughs :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

You're not the first guy to ask the question. Larry Meaux did some dyno testing of these devices a few years back. His comments:

quit testing the Tornado after about 8 or so gasoline carb engines and about 5 or 6 methanol carb engines. never made any HP/TQ gains on methanol made a few small HP/TQ gains on gasoline carbs no gas mileage difference

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts

Oh, i hadn't planned on spending a dime on this contraption if it turned out to be any kind of real performance upgrade. I'm the Purchasing Manager at a precision sheet metal shop. We could make this kind of thing very easily ;)

I had my suspicions about the so called performance gains, and in theory it does kinda sound plausible, but i thought I'd ask here to see what everyone else thought.

Thanks for the laughs :)
Hey Doug..
Design one and call it the Dougenaitor Device :)

And the sales pitch would be " You will get better mileage because your wallet will be lighter"

Kev

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Hey Doug..
Design one and call it the Dougenaitor Device :)

And the sales pitch would be " You will get better mileage because your wallet will be lighter"

Kev

I've considered trying to design something that resembles, in theory, these 'tornado' devices (causing the air to 'swirl' as it enters the carb throat), but with much more radical fin designs, and closer to the venturi openings. No matter how it's done, i think any potential real benefits will rely on air speed / engine rev's for it to do anything positive. Better air/fuel atomization would be the goal. I look at the current designs, and the flaw i see is the lack of real 'swirl' close enough to the carb throats to do any good.

I guess if it could be done efficiently (and cheaply), someone would have probably done it already.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts

Doug,
If you can design one that works, you will sell them by the case. The R & D of a product like this is what has ended many a dream. If you have the urge then go for it but go all the way :)

Kev

·
Registered
149 Posts

Buddy put one in his Magnum rt adn it went 1 sec slower in the 1//4 mi. We still give him **** about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts