Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to run hard stainless line along my frame for my supply/return lines for my fuel system. Stainless can be a real hassle to flare. I found these fittings by Russell for their aluminum line. They crimp on sortof like a compression fitting. I asked them if they can be used on stainless. They said on low pressure lines yes. Anyone ever use them ???

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RUS-639230&N=70

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I don't know of anyone who has tried using those aluminum AN fittings on SS, but my guess is it would lead to problems. Those AN fittings are very soft and you can ruin them by overtightening them on aluminum lines. My guess is that by the time you got a decent compression on an SS line, the fitting would be hosed.

FWIW: I plumbed my transmission cooler lines with braided SS lines using some nickel plated steel AN fittings. I imagine you can find nickel plated steel compression fittings for SS. For that matter, Swage sells some compression fittings for SS. You might even find SS AN fittings. In my case, I found most of what I needed at a local hydraulic hose shop.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If you want to use compression fittings instead of flaring (I'm totally with you here!) , get stainless compression fittings from Swagelok. When I was doing natural gas conversions, the Swagelok fittings were the gold standard for 3600psi compressed naturgal gas systems. I trust these fittings a lot more than any flare.

I've got Swagelok compression fittings on both ends of the stainless fuel line in my '68. A union on the tank end to adapt to a quick-connect tube stub for a Vette filter/regulator, and a compression to -6AN under the hood for a soft line (Aeroquip socketless) over to the fuel rail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.