Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there running headers on a 1st gen (mine's a 68) with angle plug (Iron Eagle) heads and a 4 speed? If so, who makes the headers?
I sure could use an answer before I send the heads back! (actually where I bought them just wants me to refuse to receive them so UPS will return them which will probably be today!

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
I'm running SportsmanII angle plugs, auto, PS,PB and very few header makers would recomend their product. Both Doug's and thorley's said they had something. I went with Doug's shorties (sub frame) and they just rested against the steering box.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I say return them. The gains from angle over straight are only recognized if you have an optimal combo pulling every ounce of power possible. Kinda like indexing the plugs... A competition racer may do it looking for an edge in competition but not required on the street. You'll have many more headder choices with std plugs.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to Hooker, Hedman and Dynomax and none of them had a set for that combo. They did have for auto trans but not 4 speed. Hooker had a set that were only for aluminum heads? Then PAW said it depends on whether the heads are standard or high port style. That's the first I had heard that term?
I suspect by now the angle plugs are on their way back.
Man this stuff is confusing.
Anybody ever bought stuff from this place? www.racepartsstore.com
Moderator: if that's a no-no please delete this reply.

Edit: fixed link...

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 02-21-2002).]

·
Registered
310 Posts
Winch,

My car has a M20 in it, and an AGR steering box (same dimensions as stock) and I have no interference issues at all with the steering. Headers actually fit quite well, with no dinged tubes and they are 1-3/4 tubes.

I can send you pics tonight if you want to see. I have them with the front clip off.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have Hooker Competition Series headers on my car. It has production GM aluminum angle plug heads and a 4 speed - no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Winch--

I've done my homework on this one already. Mine's a 3 speed manual but same issue obviously. I have GM angle plug heads and power steering.

Your options are Hooker Super Comps, Doug's Headers or Thorley Headers. Hooker Super Comps were not the best choice for my application (didn't need big tube full length pipes). So you can go Doug's or Thorley's. I went Doug's. It's part number 376Y I believe.

Check it out at www.dougsheaders.com

None of the options are cheap $ (ala Hedman, etc.).

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 650 double pumper, Doug Thorley headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi, subframe connectors, Addco sway bar

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/cjkaram/

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I don't know why Jegs, Summit or even Hooker didn't find the Super Comps. I did find them in the catalog eventually. You're right they are pricey (especially if coated). I decided to send the heads back and pay more for straight plug heads and less for headers.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have Trick Flow aluminum angle plug heads with a four speed and Dynomax headers. The only clearance problem that I had was with the oil filter which was easily rectified with a shorter one. They cleared the power steering box and clutch linkage perfectly.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I run Hooker super comps on 69 camaro w/ trick flow heads angle plugs, power steering and muncie m-20. I had to pound a ding the header at the power steering box. All other areas fit well. I had to jack the drivers side of the motor and remove the drivers motor mount to install.

D

·
0 Posts
I am running Thorley's on my 350 68 with power steering. There are no clearance issues. On a couple of the plugs you need to use a wrench rather then socket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts