Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MODS if this is "Vendor Bashing" please remove and I apologize in advance.

I've been on EBay since 2000 though only active in EBay Motors for 9 months.

There are a LOT of sales where the price spikes $5-10K in the last 15 minutes but never quite reaches reserve. I assume the shillers hope a real buyer will attempt a last minute Snipe.

There is a local florida guy selling a barracuda for the third time in a month. I know his reserve, and the "Sale" always gets to within $500 of the reserve. Or when the sale is successful he calls me afterwards complaining of yet another "Flake Buyer" and asks if I'll pay $1K under the high bid. He must have the worst luck in the world ;) lol.

There is nothing to lose shilling the price up, you just call the Real bidders afterwards and tell them the "Buyer" flaked and entice the Real Bidder into paying $1K less than the faked high bid.

What is your estimate of shilled/fake EBay sales.....?

·
Registered
716 Posts
From what I see, I would say 70% to 90% of all auto auctions have some sort of shill bidding going on.:(
The ebay auto market, for the most part is something you just can't trust!

That's my two cents!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,188 Posts
From what I see, I would say 70% to 90% of all auto auctions have some sort of shill bidding going on.:(
The ebay auto market, for the most part is something you just can't trust!

I have to agree. An auction is not a good way to buy a car.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
90% of the dealers (weather they claim to be a dealer or not) do it and have multiple accounts to do it from.
Private sellers that don't sell alot don't do it as much, maybe only 10%

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
90% of the dealers (weather they claim to be a dealer or not) do it and have multiple accounts to do it from.
Private sellers that don't sell alot don't do it as much, maybe only 10%
UGH it's worse than I thought, I feel so naive :(

An update on the Barracuda sale, the last bid is $33,600 and seller just lowered his reserve to $33,601 (Yes he is STATING his reserve), yet the "high bidder" isn't paying the extra $1 to "Buy" the car lol.

Gawd it is just so obvious, I'll bet his highest Real Bidder is in the high $20K's....I'd post the EBay sale but don't want to get slammed for slander.

There are two 1968 Camaro Ragtop sales EXACTLY like this too, they just lowered their bid to $1 above "high" bid and no takers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Shill bidding or not it's really no differant than having a high starting bid. The car isn't going to sell unless the seller gets what he wants for it. Sorry guys but the days of getting a great deal on ebay are over the cars are bringing top money and usually more.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Ebay is a haven for some very shady deals if you allow it to be. Just use common sense and its a great place. First know how much you are willing to bid on a vehicle. Second, go inspect it yourself, or use a trusted representative to do it for you. Third, check the sellers feedback, and this includes the items he buys and sells, as well as his join date. If you see 25 perfect feedback, but it is all buying baseball caps, bubblegum, or other cheap items, well I would hardly qualify them as reputable and established. Fourth, use Paypal for the money transfer and you are insured for a loss if it is a bogus sale. Who cares if a guy bids it up or not, if you decide to pay a certain ammount, thats it. If the car comes up for sale time after time, well then you have him figured out like you have stated. They cant hurt you unless you overbid, and then you have only yourself to blame. Also shill bidding is a jailable offense, and as much as I see flaws in E-bay myself, they are trying to shut down bogus sellers, and shill bidding, but due to the overwhelming number of items sold it is almost impossible to enforce.

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
wrong forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wrong forum.
What's it worth?
& ebay discussions <--- So I don't make the mistake again which forum do you suggest, please?

It's my own fault if I overbid, but if Auctions are a lousy way to gauge price/value that only leaves NADA books and watching collectorcartraderonline.com and similar sites like a Hawk....So much for Barrett-Jackson lol...

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Shill bidding on Ebay and phone bidding in a physical auction, be they a Barret Jackson, R&M, or Chrisites type auction are in the same category for me. I figure if someone can afford to spend huge money on an item they want they can afford to get there, or if they are to busy making money they can send a real person to do their bidding for them. How does anyone really know if there is someone on the other end of the phone or if its just the auction house pushing the price up. If I was looking for a deal (don't we all) I would never take part in an auction that allowed phone bidding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts