Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im replacing the rear springs and shocks on my camaro and was inspecting the parts while i had her jacked up-it seemed pretty simple is there any precautions i shoould take while replacing? is there any danger of car shifting or falling when i remove the shock?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
no,

the shock dont support the weight of the vehicle.

springs do.......

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
About the only thing you'll want to do is support the car under the axle when you change the shocks. That way the springs will be somewhat compressed and will be niether to high or too low to get the shocks back on.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Are you also replacing your leaf springs? Your post says you're doing both springs and shocks.

Springs are trickier but still doable.

·
Premium Member
11,160 Posts
In a nutshell, do support the body with good stands. With rear wheels off ground, jack up rear to get load off shocks, get them out of way. Keep some load on rear end as you loosen springs to see what is still loaded. Remove each side one at a time, using jack stands to support rear end. Only place I see you may have tight working spaces is the rear spring shackles , the tank is very close on the right rear. Do use new bushings. I used Energy Suspension but there are some better ones . Delum??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well its an 89 so i dont have leaf springs -coil spring replacement. i just wanted to know if it was safet to use a jack and pull em off and replace them one side at a time. what are some good affordable street shocks?
i will eventually get to the front struts & springs but im a little nervous about those-been told you have to replace alot of other worn things to AND get an alignment when your done

1 - 6 of 6 Posts