Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are these plug and play with our first gen cars?

100% NEW CHROME CHEVY 3 WIRE ALTERNATOR 105 AMP

They say they are the 10SI unit and they use external voltage regulation. I realize I may need a larger red wire. But I noticed the alternator in use gets hot to the touch. Are there any other changes I should make? It is charging. I just dont want trouble down the road.

I also read in another thread that the 10SI was internally regulated.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should have mentioned its a 3-wire. It has the plug orientation like this _ _ instead of this ||

I changed out the plug
and got it wired right. Its charging. I read if its internally regulated and I hook it up to a regulator it will charge constantly and run hot. Is that what I did?

TIA

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
That is an internal regulator alternator. You need to remove the regulator and put in a bypass plug. The bypass plug connects the top and bottom wires of the reg plug, and separately connects the middle two wires.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim, I changed over the wires to the same configuration as your sticky. I also installed the tach filter you designed and its working great. Thanks for all your help!

However my Ammeter no longer works. Is there a way to get it working with the internally regulated alternator?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The ammeter should still work (this is a factory console gauge ammeter, right?)
Best guess is something came loose when you were messing around by the regulator. The ammeter will be the smallest wire attached (or used to be attached) to one of the horn relay screws. Be careful, it's hot!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
However my Ammeter no longer works. Is there a way to get it working with the internally regulated alternator?
Tim did you ever get the ammeter to work again? I need a new alt. and was thinking of converting to a one wire alt, but want to make sure my original factory ammeter still is fully funtional.

Thanks.
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts