Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using new ARP harware for my flywheel and clutch. The clutch bolts have a washer with a countersunk bevel on one side. They were loose in the package. Does the chamfer face the pressure plate or bolt head? How's this for trivia!

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the bevel probably faces the bolt head. look at the bottom of the head of the bolt- i bet it has a little bevel there.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, too. The bottom of the bolt head has a VERY slightly raised lip that could nestle into the bevel but it wouldn't be full contact. Then only the outer radius of the bolt head would be exerting pressure on the washer.

------------------
Rick Dorion

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Well, I vote for bevel out facing the under side of the bolt head to prevent stress concentrations where the radius might touch the inner surface of the washer. The bevel prevents the contact and resulting stress concentration.

-Mark.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't understand what purpose the bevel serves. You can see it clearly on their website when you look up the fastener. I'll call them tomorrow.

------------------
Rick Dorion

·
3,405 Posts
Rick,
Most of ARP's fasteners (and other good fasteners) have a rather large radius where the hed of the bolt meets the shank. If the washer did not have the "bevel" in them, they would not fit flush against the underside of the bolt head. Try it with yours, put the washer on with the bevel away from the bolt head and see if it will fit flush against the bottom of the bolt head. Hold it up to a light to see it good. If the underhead radius is real small, it might not make a difference, but that is the reason for the bevel.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm almost blind but I held the bolt before a bright light and there is a slight radius. Thanks. Didn't notice it without looking for it.

------------------
Rick Dorion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts