Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at main and head studs. How good are "the other" studs. I know ARP is best but for half the cost are the others good enough?

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Considering the amount of money you'll have tied up in your engine build and the small (relatively speaking) cost difference between the proven critical fasteners and the "other guy's fasteners", why would you consider "second best" as worth the risk?

:beers:

·
Registered
662 Posts
My opinon is to buy ARP! A few yrs ago, I used another brand which begins with an "M", ( don't know if I should say which brand ), and let me tell you that I had one heck of a time getting the heads on the motor!, and when I tried to get them off, It took hours!

They were not apparently true...I ended up taking them out, and getting ARP's, put them in and the heads went on like butter, no tapping or walking them on...best of all, they came off with little resistance...no major swearing!

Do your self a favor, don't use anything but ARP!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
662 Posts
Not to drag this on, but anything ARP makes is awesome...ALL my bolts, studs, either reg or stainless, are ARP...Their quality is second to none!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
662 Posts
On a similar note...

Don't use the Jegs or Summit generic type rocker studs. I found this out the hard way. I had 4 of them snap on me. It was wierd. It would only happen at around 5,000 RPM. Anyway, I got lucky and the stud girdles kept the valvetrain from catastrophic failure each time. I though it was a geometry issue until I finally just bought the ARP studs. No problems since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts