Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put my motor back together and was curious to see
what you guys where using for your engine lube. I know it seems sorta stupid because yrs ago they didn't have 30 different types of engine lubs, from specific lubes for rings,cylinder walls, to everything else.
I'm looking for a multi purpose lube that will cover it all..:D..No jokes please...My problem is, i'm going to put the bottom end together and it may take a few months before the car is started so i need something that is going to stay in place and not rust my parts out.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've been using Lucas semi synthetic assembly lube for a few yrs now on my bikes and car engines...no issues.. Sticks real well..and dilutes into the oil after start up...

Can't say it's the best..but I have never had an issue with it..

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
There is only one, LUBRIPLATE.
Use regular motor oil on the rings and cylinders.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I use the black stuff. You know, it comes in a grease gun cartridge. It's chassis lube. Molydilidiumsulfide. (sp) It's on every car store shelf. Attributes; water proof, ultra high pressure lube, highest heat resistance (for brake parts) highest shear-protection and it's cheap.
When it first was sold back in the '60's, Isky would double your camshaft warranty if you used it.
I've even used it on a lifter that I accidentally mixed up. Worked fine. The only problem is your new motor oil turns pretty black after it's started.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,604 Posts
GM EOS in a ketchup/mustard squeeze bottle for all, liberal amounts.
One bottle for the whole assembly.
And it's molydisulfide grease.
As Fred suggests, oil needs changing right after break-in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one issue i'm going to have is that the motor might sit for a month or two
before i get it completly together. I need something that will stick and stay there until
i get it fired up. The GM stuff looking like motor oil and i'm afraid will drain down. The lubriplate looks more like a paste and would stick to the bearings and cam.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
835 Posts
What I like about the lucas assembly lube... Is that is really really sticky...I have used it on a Few shovel heads that sat for a few month before starting...no issues what so ever

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,123 Posts
I've heard of people using the Lubriplate and waiting a year with no issues. Mine will be about 3-4 months.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The one issue i'm going to have is that the motor might sit for a month or two
before i get it completly together. I need something that will stick and stay there until
i get it fired up. The GM stuff looking like motor oil and i'm afraid will drain down. The lubriplate looks more like a paste and would stick to the bearings and cam.

Thanks again,

Lubriplate will still be where you put it on 30 years later.

Ever see that whitish blob of grease on a car hinge? That is lubriplate put on when the car was new.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So are you guys running the lubriplate on everything or just the bearings? Should i use something different on the cam and rings or just use this stuff for the complete build?

Dave....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts