·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think for it to useful to everybody, it would have to be in plain text or html.

Each line consisted of title, mod, upc, sheet, page #

Low note horn, 12337 - 437, U03, A1, 382
Speed warning device, 12800, U15, A1, 383
Front compartment console instrument cluster - contents, 12000 V8 engine, U17, A1, 384

I'll start working on the '68 index again.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe

[This message has been edited by djunod (edited 09-18-2002).]

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
That would be great. I spent 10 minutres thumbing trhu mine last night trying to figure out the proper routing of the heater hoses. I passed over the right page twice.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
What a great idea, spent 15 min trying to find the page last nite to put front suspension together. I finally threw it to the side and got the Camaro Restoration Guide book.

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car

·
Registered
929 Posts
I thought it was just me! I always end up thumbing through the whole book trying to find something. I started adding tape flags with labels on them so I could find things again. Of coarse if I keep that up I'll have to page through all the tabs to find the right one....LOL

------------------
Camaro Club of Kansas City

·
Registered
503 Posts
Excellent Idea!!! I have all the C60 pages looped together with a piece of scotch tape so I have 35 less pages to look through when trying to find something....those books need a concise index!!

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The assembly manual already has a pretty good index system, if you understand it; I've worked with it for over 35 years, and it's simple if you just remember it:

UPC 1 - Body Mechanical & Trim
UPC 2 - Frame
UPC 3 - Front Suspension
UPC 4 - Rear Suspension
UPC 5 - Brakes
UPC 6 - Engine
UPC 7 - Manual Trans & Clutch
UPC 8 - Fuel & Exhaust
UPC 9 - Steering
UPC 10 - Wheels & Tires
UPC 11/13 - Front End Sheet Metal
UPC 12 - Electrical
UPC 14 - Bumpers & Miscellaneous
Optional Equipment - shown in each option section.

The UPC (Uniform Parts Classification) sections cover every Chevrolet-installed part that's standard equipment (base no-option car), and the Chevrolet-installed parts for Options are shown in each of the individual option sections, with the same option numbers you see in the sales brochures or on the sticker. Every GM assembly manual is organized in exactly the same way - that's the way the parts were originally released.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by djunod:
All I can say to that is... that's funny.

If you've worked with the manual for 35 years, then you've already memorized it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, haven't memorized any assembly manuals, but I've worked with the UPC "System" for 35 years - it's a GM Standard for all Divisions to categorize all the parts, and is applied to all design, release, and assembly activities. If you're looking for any part in a GM assembly manual, they're always in the same section, regardless whether it's a Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Cadillac, or truck.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I figured out why you think it is easy... You probably are dealing with a loose-leaf assembly manual and have all the pages arranged by UPC.

For my 1968 Camaro I am using the bound assembly manual with numbered pages. The UPC numbers are somewhat randomly placed. To locate anything by UPC is very tough.

What about you people with the '67 and '69 assembly manuals... is it bound & numbered?

------------------
David

·
Registered
503 Posts
After reading the posts on this subject I just "re-reviewed" the "index system"...and this is just My .02 .
Actually it isnt too bad...but...A simple index could be made by using the above UPC "lables"...If You go to the beginning of each UPC and go to the A1 page....there is a breif listing/index on what info is compiled within that particular chapter....simple index that should/could have been put in the front of the manual...
Now comes the options.....also there is an index at the beginning of the section....once again there is no index in the front of the manual.....although it is simple if You search and go there first ...

Here is My "peeve" and why the assembly manuals give Me a hard time....I spent a few years working as a service tech at a Chevy dealer and used the service manuals daily...there is absolutley NO corrulation from the
newer manuals to the older ones...
If You have an older svc manual(I have a 68 in front of Me right now) the chapters in the older manuals match the UPC listings in the 68 assembly manual....so Yes, if You know the product and the manuals it probably wasn't too hard to follow...UNTIL the MFG had so much info to add to the manual and they deided to "rearrange" the listings( I just checked an old 80 svc manual) and it channged drasticaly...
So bottom line is, an index could be made pretty easily and I would rather have one to go by for easy access and I think it would be a plus if these Guys that copy/reproduce these manuals would include one in the front of the manual...

Happy info finding Guys!!!....Maybe djnod and some of the other Guys will work on a simple index that We can download/print and all use for quick access...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HwyStarJoe:
Numbered reprint.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our '63 Chevy II & '79 Corvette assembly manuals where in a 3-ring binder. The '68 Camaro assembly manual that I bought from Rick's is bound in a book.

Is it bound in a book, or do you have it in loose-leaf 3-ring binder?

------------------
David

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrianW:
I can't see the problem;I have a bound assembly manual and find the index perfectly straight forward
Front suspension: UPC3, what could be simpler?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a table of contents, not an index. There is a difference :)

------------------
David

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
My '69 manual is also bound, and is arranged in the original UPC sequence and the RPO's are in letter/number order. Each UPC Group has an index page, and so do each of the RPO sections. You'll also find a complete RPO index for all the options at the very beginning of the RPO section. All GM assembly manuals have the UPC Group number (or RPO number) and sheet number in the center of the bottom of the page, between the sheet title and the change block.

The parts books don't use the same numbering system for parts groups (they weren't issued by the Car Divisions and used their own numbering system), but the Service Manuals used the same UPC system as the Assembly Manual, at least through the early 70's.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.