Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get the astro working on my 69.
The the pass.side cable operates freely and runs out to the cowl area but the drivers side is frozen up I tried tracing it down and it seems to run right up to the rear of the astro vent on drivers side.I have never been able to get any air movement out of them
can someone explain how its supposed to work and the diffence between air and non air system. Thanks...Mike

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Cables run from the kickpads (upper slider is for Astro Vent, lower slider is for the kickpad vent) up to a flapper valve on the back of the cowl plenum panel that controls airflow; duct runs from that valve to the instrument panel outlets (shown in the A.I.M. in Section 1, Sheet B5). Factory A/C cars don't have Astro Vent.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 01-07-2002).]

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is whats confusing me.Mine has only 1
lever/cable per side I thought my car was originally an a/c car that just had the air components removed.The pass.side kickpanel has a football shaped bulge on it if that means anything.Using the heater controls I can change temp and switch from defrost to heat above the console and floor level the heater control panel does have a/c on it. I dont have any manuals to refrence to...Mike

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Assembly manual is 20 bucks well spent. Available from any resto house or ebay. There's a used one for 10 right now.

Anyway, everything you describe is from factory air. The "football" hides the plenum air vacuum control.
A/C cars have one cable per side, non-air have two. On A/C cars, the Astrovents are actually vents for the A/C. You can control the amount of air to each side individually, by adjusting the dampers with the kick panel cable.
If you want, email me, and I will send you the appropriate pages from the asembly manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts