Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, just a sanity check here... Astro Ventilation is simply the round vent balls on the dash, correct? Is there anything else that goes into an Astro Vent system other than the vent ball? Here's why I ask: I cant recall ever seeing a car without the vent balls. So my question is what else makes a car an Astro Vent car?

(ps, i know the ceramic paint logo on the door glass was discontinued in early 68.)

------------------
Dan
My 68 RS Convertible 1 My 68 RS Convertible 2 My Web Page

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Astro ventilation was the name assigned to the system that moved air throughout the interior of the car from the cowl vent. It also included the movement of air thru the rocker panels, and inside the doors and quarter panels though the louvers inside the door jambs.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
45 Posts
67's without air did not have the vent balls.

Essentially, astro ventilation replaced the retirement of the '67 wing vent windows when the 68's went with the "full door glass styling." The dash vents were installed to fill in the ventilation void created by the wing vent discontinuation. The kick panel vents had been in gm cars at least a few years before they came up with the astro ventilation term.

[This message has been edited by Dan A (edited 05-22-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, AC cars do not have the kick panel vents. Sparkie, Did/does your car have AC?

Last Sunday I saw a 68 that had the vent balls and the kick panel vents. It also had the Astro Vent on the door glasses.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Door jamb vents are hit or miss-some '68s have them some don't.

Another component of Astro Vent was the cardboard behind the rear seat backrest. Some '68s were built with '67 cardboard which did not have vent holes. There was a CDSB on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.